another newbie dumb question from me regarding salt

Options
I know salt makes you retain water, but don't you just sweat it out? So it doesn't actually put FAT on. So what is the taboo with salt besides the fact that it makes your blood pressure go up. I have low/medium blood pressure.

(when I was a kid I used to eat salt right from the shaker!!) yuck - now you're all cringing. Lol ( I also used to eat sticks of butter when mom wasn't looking) NO WONDER why I'm fat!!

Replies

• ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes it helps to retain water, but from what I understand, a little salt won't hurt.

That being said I would also keep an eye on how much sodium is in the food you are eating. Most days, I eat in the 1,500-1,700 cal range and burn another 500 cals, eat pretty healthy, and still go over my sodium content. Nobody to my knowledge logs 'salt' onto MFP.

As a NY resolution, I gave up the shaker. I use it to cook, sure, but that's it. I was like you, I would add it to everything even before I tasted it. About 2-3 weeks in I don't even miss it. Not one bit.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You have a point, it doesn't put fat on- but here is one way to think of it- a lot of people on here are concerned with overall health, and many are shooting for clean eating lifestyles. You can bet if something has high sodium it's either high processed packaged food that is likely to come with other unhealthy ingredients or it is a "diet product" that likely has a bunch of chemicals in it.

That being said, I don't track it much, but I do hate that water retention- bloated feeling so I also try not to eat a ton of it.

I think some people hate to see a gain on the scale whether it's from water or fat or anything.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest problem with salt is that due to the water rention the number the scales give you are not correct