want to run/ but think I look stupid

Options

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. You probably will look weird- have you ever watched a race, or see a bunch of marathon photos? Check out this link- We all look like doofuses. I can't post my own photos (the people at sport photo are serious about me not using them with out paying them $15.00 first) but they are equally bad, I promise.

http://rwdaily.runnersworld.com/2011/04/ah-spring-when-horrible-race-photos-blossom.html

http://rwdaily.runnersworld.com/2009/05/race-photo-redux-brightroom-hates-me-too.html

But you will eventually feel like a million bucks, and you won't care what you look like. It will make you feel like a goddess, or a wild animal, powerful and free. You will eventually feel like you were born to run. In truth, we all were. We are designed for it. So get some good confidence boosting tunes and get out there.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I went to get analysed for running shoes after just a week of jogging. The guy in the shop said my running "style" was "unusual". I think that was code for "you run like a freak" :laugh:

But trust me, it's not important how you run (as long as you're not doing yourself an injury) it's that you're doing it at all :)

here's a clip for you - hope you find it funny!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_0Ta_DIWuU

i love that episode! actually, i love all the episodes :)
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    i definitely look like phoebe from friends when I am running.
    and I still do it ALL THE TIME
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! in fact you'll become to see familar faces and although you don't stop and chat! haha! you start acknowledging other runners and agree with the lady who said that you sometimes get very encouraging words from passes by, as least I do, here in London, UK! There's no nicer feeling than running in the open air, it almost becomes like a drug! so go do your thing, and please believe me, people are not watching you to judge! in fact might be the opposite, they might be thinking I wish I could run, etc.

:flowerforyou:
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 knee sugery on my left. and 1 on my right knee. So im hope that it will be ok to start running.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Don't let what other people think stop you from doing what you want.

As for your knees, go talk to a doctor or physical therapist before you start. My girlfriend has a bad knee and they helped her out. Now she runs half marathons with me :)
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Well- okay, then in all seriousness, I suggest you do a few things first.

1) Talk to your doctor.

2) Go to a professional running store- not a ****'s or Foot Locker or Sports Authority, but a Fleet Feet or a Ken Combs or a Blah Blah etc. Running store- Tell them you are new to this and talk to someone in there about getting the proper pair of shoes for your gait- ask for a free gait analysis. Ask about what insoles or inserts they might reccommend. Ask them if they suggest any sort of knee brace for a beginner.

3) consider a plan- such as a relaxed c25k or another structured plan for beginners- too much too fast can lead you to injury- and you do not want that, considering you may be at higher risk anyhow.

**I am not foul mouthed- that's the name of the Sporting Goods store- I can't help it they didn't go with Richard's sports.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I will also echo the numerous JUST DO IT's!

I stopped caring what people thought back when I first joined the gym. It takes a bit but once you are 3 mi into a 5 mi run little else matters than the run itself :glasses:
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    HA! I was thinking about this the other day...I KNOW for SURE that I look like a lizard running on water when I run! I think I run wrong! I just recently started running and I'm slowly getting over this...It's more about "the jiggle" for me...EVERYTHING jiggles when I run....but it's okay..I know it wont go away if it doesn't jiggle..LOL
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I run in some fields near my house so as no-one can see! lol

If there are none near you, is there a park you can drive to and then set off from the car?
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine, no one will be looking! Noone looks worse than me trying to run with my 2 dogs (the big one pulls me & the little one drags behind a little, so I end up with one arm in front & one arm behind me) while fidgeting with my ipod. But I don't care! People can suck it!
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Just picture that episode of Friends where Phoebe was running through Central Park flailing like a maniac. You could never look that silly! :laugh:

This was my favorite episode. I, too, look this silly when I run. But like Phoebe, I'm having the time of my life. Focus on the fun. I bet you'll run farther and burn more calories.
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when trying a new exercise at the gym.
    In addition to all the great advise above, i'd say run with intention. Which is to say, when you are thinking about how others are perceiving you, you should be thinking about your breathing, your form, your cadence...your running. Be present and run with intention. Good luck!
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen Stephen Segal run? Wow, it's the funniest thing you'll ever see. No way you can ever look that bad.

But seriously, who cares? You're bettering yourself. Any that would mock you will most likely grow more overweight in time, as you're improving. Plus, they're probably just a-holes.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise. Im not sure on form, breathing part.
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I couldn't get over how awkward I felt. What helped me the most was turning on my ipod and investing in a pair of huge movie star sunglasses to hide behind. It worked wonders.

Of course, I forgot my "disguise" one day, and during my run a little weathered lady gave me a thumbs up and said, "Lookin' good!" Maybe people are looking because they admire you.
  • rachaelmariegee
    Options
    I feel the same way. I feel I am to overweight to run, and I'm scared that people look and think badly of me.
    However, when I see people run, I think good on them, and I wish I had the courage to do what they are doing.
  • fpsmoto
    Options
    Don't worry about what other people might think. Just wear something comfortable and put some headphones on and get it done.
  • smelanie504
    Options
    Think of it this way: If you see someone jogging down the sidewalk, do you drop everything and analyze/scrutinize them? Probably not. I don't. No one's looking at you, so don't let that hold you back.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Good job crew, bumping a 3 year old post about someone feeling stupid.

lol.