CAN'T barely walk :(

Options
So I did a really good work out on Wednesday lunch hour with lots of lunges and squats and then did a 5km later that night. Problem is, it's now Friday and I still really hurt going up and down the stairs! I know that it's sore muscles but was wondering if it would be okay to work them out again even though they are so sore. I took yesterday off from everything. I just can't believe that I'm still this sore :)

Replies

• fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Rest them.

I had the same issue the past few days. I still went for light walks but strictly no workouts.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If it is still screaming at you, don't go. Go for a walk or something. If it is just painful but tolerable, do something a little heavier. I wouldn't do a full blown workout right now or you may really hurt your body.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I do slow walks to stretch out the muscles....take a rest day from the strenuous......
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Stretch- mellow walking, light yoga or just general stretches. Be kind to your body!
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If it's just DOMS feel free to work-out but a) don't expect it to be fun and b) don't expect to be able to work as hard.

You are probably better off resting or doing light work until it's gone.

However, if it's more than DOMS and you've pulled something then you should rest and see a doctor/physiotherapist.
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    i say go for it. but then again i am radical like that. I try to stay under my 1200 calories everyday, I dont eat my excersize calories back and still drink coffee. So you may not want to take my advice. Then again, I have lost 60 lbs in about four months by just working out and eating right. Whatever you decide i hope you have a great day. I know that week I did like a hundred or so squats and I could barely walk, or sit down. I felt like i needed to hold onto something just to sit on the toilet. I went that night and did a toning class, and the next day the majority of my soreness disappeared.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I know that pain and it's pain your body is using to tell you "don't do it". It is no different than an immobilizing back spasm.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Stretch your muscles before your exercise. Also using warm towels will help to loosen them up as well. I remember those days. I use to scream trying to sit down to use the restroom. My kids thought it was hilarious.
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    Judging by other peoples responses this might not be the best thing to say but...

I've been jogging a fair bit this week ( a lot for me and my usual low level of exercise) and my leg muscles have been really aching all week. I also did some weight work on Monday and my obliques (spelling??) were still really sore on Thursday but I stretched out and went for a jog and did some more weights including the ones I did on Monday and today I am a lot less sore!

My aches weren't as bad as yours sound though so maybe just see what you can manage but don't push too hard?
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    your body can do many things for you
    it tells you when you have pushed too far - listen to your body
    it is so easy to get carried away and start to yo yo too much exercise is goint to set you back as you are too sore next time
    steady work outs and a steady increase in your heart rate will result in a better burn off
    go to the mayo clinic and read some of their advice
    its your body - treat it well and it will serve you well - after all you dont over rev a car engine all day long do you!

have fun
  • lanenalatina
    lanenalatina Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I know exsactly what you mean I been doing 45 minutes on the treadmill inclining it to 3.5 at a speed of 3.0 and I am so sore and when I go down and up the stairs I am in alot of pain I had taken few days off b/c it hurts and like you sometimes wounders if tha pain every going to go away? But after taking few days off I kindof feel guilty and even if I am still sore I do it anyways b/c if I don't I feel like whatever weight I lost witch hasn't been much is going to go back .

So good luck and I hope you feel better:flowerforyou:

6540321.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I would say rest your body, but if you need to so something I would go for a walk or swimming. Key is really to make sure you stretch before and after excercising for at least 10 mins! Hope you're recovery is quick.