Do you record your eating on your free day?

Options
2»

Replies

• MarissaLK
    MarissaLK Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I saw someone say recently that while you may not keep an accurate diary, your body sure as heck does! No denying that ;) So I'd say you might as well have the entry as a reference if you ever decide to see how you were eating at that time.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I log everything because I need the "visual" of what I am consuming, then the reality check of how much I just ate. I dont have a complete free day for I am like most, would splurge and over do myself and waste what I have completed at that point. I just dont deprive myself, eat smaller portions and not induldge. Good luck.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input, guys! I think I am going to go with not logging those days. I agree with a few of you that have said you don't want to tie yourself to the MFP for the rest of your life and logging forever. I really feel like this gives me a visual of my eating that helps me to keep it where it needs to be. If I am going to be making a lifestyle change, which is my goal, I will one day be able to recognize when I am going to go over or mess up my eating for that day after so much consistency for a long period of time.

The free day thing is, I guess, a hot topic. I find it necessary, almost essential, because I cannot imagine eating what I am eating on my diet days for the rest of my life without ever taking to a day to celebrate occasionally without feeling guilty and that is what my free day is, a guilt free day. So that is probably my biggest deciding factor for not recording it.

Well said! I definately have to look at many issues brought up and yes, tying myself to MFP the rest of my life will make me go crazy and think I can never to it on my own, (which is a huge goal of mine). Having the ability to recognize what we eat and over eat is important without having to track it all the time, like teaching ourselves something. I also could not imagine never eating ice cream again or once in a while a fatty peice of pizza.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    The key here is to make it "once in a while".

To the OP: I had to examine my thoughts about food very closely. Celebrating/Rewarding myself with food is a very slippery slope. I know it comes from how I was raised, but I've self-reinforced this habit for years.

I'd say, find some other way to splurge, celebrate, reward or treat yourself. A manicure, a facial, a new purse, a movie out with friends. Plan a trip. Something other than food rewards.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    The free day thing is, I guess, a hot topic. I find it necessary, almost essential, because I cannot imagine eating what I am eating on my diet days for the rest of my life without ever taking to a day to celebrate occasionally without feeling guilty and that is what my free day is, a guilt free day. So that is probably my biggest deciding factor for not recording it.

To clarify, what I mean in regards to celebration is not to "reward" myself with food. What I mean is if there is a special event, anniversary, birthday party, wedding, graduation, etc, I would like to be able to work that into my scheduled free day so a) I don't feel guilty and b) I can enjoy myself with my friends and family without making them feel guilty for not providing me with an option to "stick to my plan"

On a side note, sort of a pet peeve of mine, and I truly mean not to offend, but when I originally posted, my question was posed to those that give themselves a free day, and how they do that with recording their food. I certainly did not think I was opening myself up for criticism of my diet plan and food choices. I also did not think I was opening myself up for unwarranted advice about my choice to have a free day and all of the counseling people seem to want to offer me on the topic. I didn't think I would have to become defensive regarding why I choose to have a free day and the health benefits I see from that.

I appreciate your concerns, they are noted, but quiet frankly, to be honest with you all, I have never struggled with my weight up until a few years ago. Yes, I have been lucky, I am not overweight, nor have I ever been, and I grew up being able to eat whatever I want and never gain a pound or to be able to spend a few weeks in the gym and get back to where I like to be. I have never gone to food for comfort or depression, I just enjoy good food and I let myself enjoy it a little too much these past few years as my metabolism has slowed down. My thoughts on food are just fine, thanks, however my thoughts about asking general advice on these discussion boards are very hesitant now. Perhaps I will just read from now on without asking any advice.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have free days following the spike diet. I have done it both ways......not logging and logging and I have noticed a big difference with my success when logging. Having free days are great but they need to be somewhat structured and controlled to work best.
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I log, even when it hurts. It blows my mind and is a reminder exactly how many calories there are in the things I don't eat normally during the week.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I log everything. It just makes it easier to be realistic about what is going on if/when you hit plateaus in weight loss or suddenly gain a few pounds "unexpectedly".

Plus, it is so easy to log, even on the go with the app, that I really have no excuse to not log.
  • didazzles
    didazzles Posts: 13
    Options
    I love this discussion - the diversity in preferences is great!! I used to think of eating whatever I wanted as a "treat" and then realized that eating that way, FOR ME, was not a treat, it actually was a "trick." It was hurting my goal and I realized that my thinking about food was so warped as to allow me to think that eating something unhealthy, because it tastes good, was a good thing. I have since revised my thinking to support the notion that there are really good tasting healthy foods that I can have and truly "treat" myself well! I also think that "cheating" myself and my health is not something that I want to do. Even if I decide to eat something that may not be the most healthy choice, I choose not to consider it "cheating," because this way of eating, for me, is for life (in a all senses of the word) and that choice was just part of the plan for that day. I am very cognizant that my thinking is not shared by everyone and my post in no way is meant to be disparging to anyone. I just wanted to share my thinking as part of the ongoing discussion. As for logging when I eat something that is not the healthiest choice, I have found that recording it is important as I am learning what might influence my ability to support healthier choices. You see, in addition to maintaining the food diary, I also journal what's going on in my life and can draw correlations between food choices, emotions, stress, etc. I wish you great success in whatever option you choose and encourage you to continue to do what works for you. This journey is so hard and requires such focus that we have to be kind to ourselves and support what works for us!!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I try to log everyday, regardless....... if its a "cheat day"...... I still log it.... what it does is prevents me from over doing it. If I want pizza, fine.... but it keeps me grounded so I dont eat 5 slices..... I may have just 2!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I try to log everyday, regardless....... if its a "cheat day"...... I still log it.... what it does is prevents me from over doing it. If I want pizza, fine.... but it keeps me grounded so I dont eat 5 slices..... I may have just 2!

Oh, BTW..... and I NEVER feel guilty about it..... :noway: :noway:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I record mine whenever possible. I just like to be accountable no matter how good or bad i do on any given day.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I end up logging as best I can, but honestly this is mostly due to obsessiveness in keeping all my data as close to accurate as possible. I would prefer if I could convince myself not to log on the free day.
  • ziggle_7
    ziggle_7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    normally i log everything. i went to my parents last week for some much needed time away from the city and life and i didnt record my eating or anything and kinda thought oh it cant be that bad but i ended up gaining like 4 pounds! i suggest you loog everything. Even on your free days you should be aware of what your eating. Im not sure i would have "free days" maybe a free meal now and then or something. Its ok to treat youself every now and then like having some desert that you normally wouldnt or eating out but save them for special occassions and still make sure you log them. The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to make a lifestyle change instead of a diet. even on "free" days, try to eat decently and logging can really help. Good luck!
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I can understand wanting a day to 'celebrate' and eat above your limits in the program. Would I still document that day? Yes. Would I do so once per week? No. Once a month, perhaps, but once a week and I could severely sabotage myself.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    don't have free days, don't understand the concept, but even on days when I eat out or its a day I go over for what ever reason I LOG....LOG EVERYTHING, it is the thing that helps you the most to understand what this is all about x

ditto.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I log everything too. First of all, I don't have "cheat days". I do the best I can, every day, no matter where I am. Some days will be stellar, others won't be (b/c we're going out to eat or a party or something). If I added cheat days to my occassional days of making not so great choices, I would get out of shape very quickly. But b/c most days I do well, I know that if I have a day that isn't so good, it'll be ok (and I guess that day would become my "cheat day"). But I still like to know how "good" I have to be the next day, if I was kinda bad the day before, and logging helps.
  • ratkins811
    ratkins811 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see I am not the only one who struggles with overwhelming temptations.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    don't have free days, don't understand the concept, but even on days when I eat out or its a day I go over for what ever reason I LOG....LOG EVERYTHING, it is the thing that helps you the most to understand what this is all about x

ditto.

The idea is to have a free day to get copious amounts of carbs to raise leptin (a fat burning hormone)levels and increase the rate of t4 to t3 conversion(thyroid hormone that raises metabolism).
  • smareeh
    smareeh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I try to. But when its a wedding, family dinner, carry-in something like that I dont and only because it is so hard. You have no idea how food is prepared. So instead I just try to be very aware of taking bite size portions if there is a lot of stuff I like. And if there is fruit or veggies grab extra to fill space on my plate.