Can I eat more when working nights

Options
PR1NC355N1X
PR1NC355N1X Posts: 4 Member
I'm working nights tonight and tomorrow and I do this every 10 days. Can I have more calories on these days. The first day I'm awake all day and night so I will probably eat all my day allocated plus more to keep me going all night through.

Replies

• blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Options
    I work nights, and I try to keep it level all the time...
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    MFP is based on how much you eat during those 24 hours, and the body is on a 24 hour clock. Just log everything you eat during that 24 hours and log any exercise (even walking) and you'll be fine. Different work schedules do not change your body's natural clock.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way. Nurses eat more on the days they work the night shift. There's cake, there's pasta in the middle of the night (I used to work with a lot of hospitals). It causes a lot of nurses and doctors to deal with weight issues because they are eating all night to "keep going"
  • PR1NC355N1X
    PR1NC355N1X Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your answers. I'll try and keep it level.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If you're up and moving around for additional time as opposed to regular days then I'd say yes you can eat a bit more.

Being awake for 16 hours and working 8 will burn x amount of calories.
    Being awake for 20 hours and working 8 will burn even more.

Just being awake and conscious is going to burn more calories than if you were normally sleeping.