Scale being sluggish near goal weight

Options
I have my initial settings set to lose 1lb/week. I've been doing this for 8wks now. Down 4lbs (want to lose another 4-5). Most weeks I don't lose at all. I exercise 6 times a week (running and P90X), and try to eat at least 1200cal/day, using some of my exercise calories.

So, I'm lowering my loss to 0.5lb/week - this will either help me lose or not do a thing (or eek, make me gain!).

Has anyone adjusted their loss down (and calories up) and seen a good response?

Replies

• meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hey M--I don't know the answer, but I'm in a somewhat similar situation too. I would ideally like to lose another ten pounds, though I am in pretty good shape and am at a healthy weight. I have my settings at 1/lb week loss as well, and I also work out 5 - 6 times a week doing circuit training, hiking and/or running/walking. I don't know if I'm eating too much or too little or what.

Looking forward to some helpful responses!!
  • simplyblessed89
    Options
    I'm in the exact same situation. I don't understand how eating healthy and doing great workouts like running & P90X wouldn't make the scale budge. Muscle and fluid retention can play a huge role in slowing the number drop.

Try this: Review your diet. I noticed that I was sneaking in more whole grains than protein and veggies. For me, I know that a higher protein/lower carb (no matter if it's whole grain or white) diet will give me better weight loss results. I got sidetracked with eating too much healthy food, but it all goes down to calories in, calories out. I also noticed my weight gain could have to do with a few birthday parties the past few weeks, and a piece of cake adds up in calories.

Be consistent with recording your food intake.

Up your workouts to 15-20 more minutes. Try something different. I stuck to P90X but added more yoga and Pilates. Your body needs rest from the vigorous workouts but still moving that body means more calorie burn, you just don't want to burn out and eat up all the calories you just burned.

If you're eating dessert or salty snacks often (whatever may be your sinful splurge), substitute it until you reach your goal weight, then slowly add it back in. If you crave sweet, have some Light n Fit or Greek yogurt with strawberry jam (REAL fruit - no added sugar), if you crave salty, have air-popped popcorn. I'm not going to say snack on carrots to stop a craving because it doesn't work. lol BUT! Making chicken in the oven with whole grain bread crumbs will be MUCH less in calories than fried chicken.

Hope these help. I know from experience how hard this struggle can be - I'm STILL on that road! However, conquer your body's struggles, don't let your body/mind conquer you! ;) Good luck.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I wish you would try eating more. You can't lose weight when you are this close to goal without eating.

www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com