Ab belts and vibration equipment??

Options
I've been browsing through fitness equipment today, looking to buy something to help tone my abs and everywhere i go i see ab belts and vibration equipment being advertised. Do any of you guys use either of these? They look like a waste of money to me, claiming to give amazing results with minimal effort on the buyers part. But i may be completely wrong. Opinions please =]

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    im gunna check back in for an answer..i saw an ad on tv yesterday for one..you can do chores, lay in bed, atc and have the belt thing do the work..sounds wonderful :wink:
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    nope.
    they don't work.

those belts won't give you abs or flatten your stomach.
    abs are made in the kitchen.
  • Shofie_1910
    Shofie_1910 Posts: 39
    Options
    im gunna check back in for an answer..i saw an ad on tv yesterday for one..you can do chores, lay in bed, atc and have the belt thing do the work..sounds wonderful :wink:

My thoughts exactly, sounds far too good to be true! Hoping someone can shed some light on the situation and help me decide if one is worth the pennies!
  • keegrsmom
    keegrsmom Posts: 27
    Options
    Never tried them personally but don't waste your $. It's about eating right and exercising. As always, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Never tried them personally but don't waste your $. It's about eating right and exercising. As always, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I very much agree.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    ya know what really pisses me off about it all tho..they always use already thing and fit people..i want to see a fat person before and after using the products..that's why i don't jump at things..they don't really show proof, but who knows, they COULD work
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    they don't.

just tensing a muscle repeatedly isn't going to cause good muscle growth.
    it takes resistance.

and that only show already fit people, because the product doesn't work.
    the people in those ads rarely even use the product.
    the people in the p90x dvds didn't get that body by using that program, or taking beachbody supps.
    people in hydroxycut ads didn't get ripped from taking hydroxycut.
    Most fitness models have abused steroids, the "before" pics are of them during the off-season after a bulk.
    The after pics are pictures taken after months of dieting, then the pics are airbrushed.
  • Shofie_1910
    Shofie_1910 Posts: 39
    Options
    Wouldn't it be lovely if companies were honest about what they were selling? -sigh- As i expected! Think i'll just buy some weights! Can't go wrong with those. Thanks for all your replies!
  • TonyTrinch
    TonyTrinch Posts: 48
    Options
    Many years ago I tried that one ab belt that electrocuted you. It made perfect sense to me at the time that it should work, it makes the muscles contract from the shock and you can wear it while you're watching TV, perfect!

Yeah...not so much. Didn't do anything except hurt like hell, cause a rash, and leave tiny little welts on my tummy. :( But I did get to watch lots of TV, which is probably why I'm on MFP years later altering my eating habits and doing actual exercise. Boo hiss. I really do like the idea of a six pack from watching TV, I just don't think it actually works that way, unless that six pack is drinkable.