Good Veggie Burger Recipe?

Options
craftylatvian
craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
Does anyone have a tried and true veggie burger recipe? One that you can change and add different veggies, like a base recipe? I have a martha Stewart one that looks good, and a knockoff Morningstar Gardenburger one. Thanks in advance. I want to make a big batch this weekend and freeze them.

Replies

• MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I have just started looking for one as well.
  • bellabambina89
    Options
    *bump*

I'm always down for new recipes
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    This one is my recipe... http://veganlazy.wordpress.com/2011/04/04/white-bean-veggie-burgers/

It uses white beans as a base and you can add whatever veg you want!

5588861793_8218ac407a.jpg
  • m0_0m
    m0_0m Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Don't know so much about veggie burgers but these black bean burgers are FANTASTIC! I make huge batches and freeze them. My meat eating boyfriend is obsessed with them. They pair perfectly with some lite chipotle mayo. YUM!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-Black-Bean-Veggie-Burgers/Detail.aspx
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    YUM
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I would definitely put this more in the "bean burger" family, but it's my fav.: http://www.foodista.com/recipe/RSV67BDM/black-bean-and-quinoa-burgers

I basically just "eyeball" it, though. I use whatever beans I have in the house, usually black, and frequently I don't even measure how much I'm using, though I know I use a lot - the equivalent of one of those double sized cans (though I've been making them from dry lately to cut down on sodium). Then I will take one raw cup of quinoa and make it according to package directions. I combine these with a quarter of an onion (whatever color I have handy), some garlic (I love garlic, so a few cloves) all in the food processor. Then I add as many whole wheat breadcrumbs as it takes to make it seem almost dry, but still cohesive (I made some crumbs from about-to-go-bad bread - just process and bake until they're dry)

Sometimes there's so much that you have to do two batches in an 11c. food processor to mix it all. Despite this, you may after you've tried it once or twice want to double the recipe since it's kind of a mess to make it and it freezes really well.

To cook them I'll put them in a pan with a little Pam sprayed first - 5-7min. each side over med. heat, or until hot and a little browned. I've also crumbled them up and put over rice, topped with salsa and avocado. A friend of mine has made balls out of them to make pretend meatball subs. Sky--and seasoning!--is the limit :)
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bumping for later!
  • luvs2pugs
    luvs2pugs Posts: 52
    Options
    I've found that if you use a bean base (white bean, garbanzo, etc.) you can add some egg to hold it together (cage free of course) and then add your spices and veggies to that. I've made them with a variety of veggies and then I just fry them up and eat them like a burger on toasted bread. YUM
  • breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've posted this on another topic recently but thought it would fit here too - our chick peas in uk are what you call garbanzo beans!
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5605/falafel-burgers?pager.offset=40
    It's good, quick and low cal
    Hope you like it!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Ooohh..so many good recipes!! Thanks everyone! I want to experiment and make a big batch on Sunday and freeze them for the week.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    When I make juice, I save the vegetable pulp. I mix that with TVP, some oil and an egg to hold it together. I make patties and/or meatballs out of that. Sometimes I coat with Italian bread crumbs, if I'm going to roast or fry.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    When I make juice, I save the vegetable pulp. I mix that with TVP, some oil and an egg to hold it together. I make patties and/or meatballs out of that. Sometimes I coat with Italian bread crumbs, if I'm going to roast or fry.

My better half just started saving our pulp from the juicer. I'll bring this up to him :D
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options

I'll bring this up to him

As in vomit lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Also bumping for later!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bump - I am veggie and would love to make my own burgers. Thanks guys xx
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    This one is my recipe... http://veganlazy.wordpress.com/2011/04/04/white-bean-veggie-burgers/

It uses white beans as a base and you can add whatever veg you want!

5588861793_8218ac407a.jpg

yummy this looooks so good!
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Hi I copied a recipe and blagged it with what Id got in the cupboard, which was:

Tin of Adzuki beans, grated carrot, onion, seasoning, 50g oats, 2 heaped desert spoons of plain flour, 175g brown rice (optional), mushrooms & sun dried toms (optional).....mix the whole shabang up, serarate in to burger sized portions and fry.....(use spray oil)...

I added the recipe to 'my recipes' and it made it as 10 burgers 104 kcal each....

Serve with lettuce etc, so really you could have 3 lol
  • kbean33
    kbean33 Posts: 50
    Options
    bump
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump