skin care HELP!!!!

Options
Ok folks Im not as young as I once was or as I wish I was and my skin is horrible!!! I am staying hydrated but my skin looks like a ninety year old womans! It is soooo dry and awful looking!! Does anyone know of some good lotion's or any kind of good, reasonably priced skin care products I could use to help bring some life back to my poor old looking skin? Please and THANK YOU!?!?!?!?!?

Replies

• Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil (just straight up coconut oil that you can find in the grocery store by the olive oil) and rub it into the dry areas. My skin absorbs it quickly and feels better the next day (I generally do this over night). It's also quite good for your hair.

Turning down the heat in the shower (if you take hot showers) can help, as well as staying out of the sun/using sunscreen.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    I know this will be not the advice you expected, but make sure you have enough fat in your diet (check your food diary here).

Also, thyroid problems can show up as skin and nail and hair problems - hypothyroidism is also a cause of weight gain.

Have you had blood tests done in the last year?

I love pure coconut oil on my skin - and it's great to cook with and good for you! Not to mention reasonably priced and has no smell.

always need help with my skin....
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hello,

It depends on your skin type, but it sounds like you have dry skin. If that's the case, I suggest using OLAY Regenerist products. It's a great line that's over the counter and geared towards the purpose of anti-aging. Use a lighter SPF moisturizer in the morning and a heavier night cream before bed at night. I would also recommend a thick eye cream for nighttime. In the morning, use a gentle, milk-based face wash before you moisturize. Exfoliate before bed three times per week with a face-only exfoliant (I like C-Booth) to take the dead, dry skin off. Also, taking a quality fish oil supplement (I like Nordic Naturals) is excellent for your skin. I know all this because I have very difficult skin and I've learned a lot from my dermatologist over the years! Good luck!
  • hulagirlkila
    Options
    Argon oil...Josie Maran makes a great one...can purchase on QVC and try it...if you don't like it ...return it! WOrks great!
  • GetFitNowKrystal
    GetFitNowKrystal Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use skin md. It seems to be working great.
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a treatment for dry skin try a product called "bio oil" i use it at night instead of a night cream and its worked a treat. It also helps with blemishes and scars so helps skin look younger and fresher. Got to keep using it for a few weeks to feel the benefits. A good skincare range is liz earle. Not sure if it is available in the US? i get mine via QVC and its a fantastic range. Helped get rid of my sisters acne. suitable for all skin types. :flowerforyou:
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I swear by Olay ,you cant beat it :)
  • sherri85
    sherri85 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yes I have hypothyroidism darn it and my nails are bad as well. Im gonna try the coconut oil.. thanks :sad:
  • sherri85
    sherri85 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone.. Im gonna try all these suggestions lol it may be over kill but I bet my skin will love it!! Thanks Again:happy:
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    There is a product you can buy for dry skin that is recommended to us for our patients especially the diabetics and people who are prone to dry skin and cracking on feet and legs. I know it would be good for use on any parts of the skin however.
    Its called "lac hydrin"
    Its not expensive, not a lot of "money promotion" you can find it in the regular drug stores or even at WalMart (here at least) and its usually on the bottom shelf.
    It really is fabulous and keeps skin well moisturized and not greasy.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    In addition to the fish oil supplements, I heard that Biotin supplements can help hair and nails as well. Hope this helps:)
  • Chasy21
    Chasy21 Posts: 19
    Options
    Oil of Olay, My mom used it and her skin looks great. I have been using it for 11 years
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I like Aveeno calming moisturizer for face. For anti-aging, the ONLY FDA approved ingredient is Retin A. Don't waste your time with any store bought nonsense.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Cetaphil brand is great for your skin, both the lotion and the cleanser. For more intense moisturizing, try jojoba oil from the health food store. It's a little pricey, but a few drops go a long way. You can use it on your skin and hair. Good stuff.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    also, when my hands get really cracked and dry, I use these cotton gloves after I put lotion on. It helps you absorb it. You can do the same on your face with a warm towel. Try like 10 mins.
  • melissabranscom
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. My skin on my face is very dry and my nails peel like onions. I don't buy all that expensive stuff, but I do use a home made mixture that consist of milk, oatmeal and honey. I mix it together and microwave it until it is hot then stir it up. I then let it cool until it is luke warm. I just dip three fingers in the mixture and smear it on my face. I leave it for about 5 min and wash it off. After I rinse, I pat dry and put on Olay night firming cream (it really does work). If I have any of the mixture left, I usually put it in my bath water. For my nails, I buy vitamin E gel caps. I take one capsule and poke a hole in it with a pin and rub the liquid into my nails and cuticels. It softens my hands and makes my nails stronger.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Olay and Vitamin E oil!
  • terriemay
    terriemay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have really dry skin and peeling nails, although there doesn't seem to be a medical reason. Think I might try the coconut oil, I'm sick of being disappointed with lotions and potions!

Bio-Oil isn't the cheapest, and personally I'm allergic to the stuff, but I know it works for a LOT of people with things like scars as well as dry skin...