Recently New to hear....have a question

Options
I have been on here for a little over a week now. I am a 37yr old mother of 2 boys (ages 16 and 12) I work a full-time job and have horses. My youngest plays baseball, so between work, baseball and horses I keep very busy. However, I have managed to pack on the pounds and now I am ready to change my lifestyle FIRST starting with my diet. I was an avid Diet Dr Pepper drinker (was my morning staple like coffee is to some). I have been soda free for 10 days and feel great, I have also given up potatoe chips and junk foods in general. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and I have lost 5 pounds in 9 days. I know this is still new to me so I understand I will have challenges from time to time to resist the urge to eat "naughty" food. This Sunday (Mother's Day) My mother and I are going to Red Robin for a Mother's Day lunch together, I am not sure what I can eat there yet. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should order?
I am looking for motivation, I havent really started an exercise program yet as I try to work or ride my horse daily (which is lots of exercise at times depending on her mood). I wanted to get going on changing my eating habits before adding a new element (daily workout). Any suggestions?

Thank you

Replies

• jill5280
    jill5280 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    They have a great grilled chicken salad. I carry my own salad dressing or get their dressing on the side and just dip my fork in before putting the salad onto it. They also have a very interactive online nutritiion tool on their website, you can build what you want and print it out so you are ready to go on Sunday. Best of luck~
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    You can always go online and check out their menu and calories for all their food. Then you can plan ahead what you want to order, enter it into your food diary and then you will know what you have to work with for the rest of the day. You can still eat out but planning ahead is the key. Good luck on your journey and happy mothers day!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. You have to tell them dressing on the side!! Good luck! (horse back riding can be a LOT of work) Good job and I know you'll do great on mothers day!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Welcome I started in April and really love this site! My best advice is to plan ahead for the meal. For example, if I know I am going out to eat I check online to see the menu and nutrients in certain meals, foods or beverages. Today my husband and I are taking our kids to Dairy Queen after school today for a special treat and I checked their menu to see what I could have. I am so glad I did because the item I was going to have was 500 calories...that is usually a large meal for me! Anyways check the website of Red Robin and if they do not have anything posted online call them and find out. That way you have a plan and do not get swindled into eating a so called healthy salad...:wink:
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Plan your meal and stick to your plan. Don not look at the menu when you arrive there, ever!!!
  • lkyeomans
    lkyeomans Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am going out to eat I always look up the restaurant menu online and decide what I am going to have before I get to the restaurant. That way I am not tempted by all the sights and smells of the restaurant. I will also call the restaurant if I need to in order to make sure they can meet my requests and then I will program in my meal so I know what else I can eat for the day. Remember they are there to serve you and make your experience a happy one.
  • asmith74
    asmith74 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you for the tips :)
  • asmith74
    asmith74 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    There are moves here in the UK to start putting nutritional info on menus and they did have one calorie counted dish on the menu in a restaurant I went to last week. Do they have this in the US?