Starbucks food healthier than McDonald's?

Options
eeeekie
eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
"It's still fast food, any way you cut it

Their bread is artisan, their salads have cranberries but is the food at Starbucks any better for you than McDonald's fare? The coffee giant just pulled up behind the golden arches to become the number three fast food chain in America. Part of their success is being credited to healthier menu options than the standard drive-through meal. In the case of their carrot sticks and hummus platter, this may be true, but some of their staple grab-and-go menu options are deceptively high in calories and fat. We compared the nutritional values of some of their lunch fare with corresponding offerings at McDonald's. You'll be surprised at how the numbers stack up."

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/springcleaning/is-starbucks-any-healthier-than-mcdonalds-2478835/#photoViewer=1

Very interesting! Gotta be careful...make smart choices.

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I actually know someone that works for the catering company that makes Starbucks food. Its truly awful. Theres nothing good about any of it, aside from the fresh fruit. LOL
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Bottom line w/ eating out anywhere is do your homework and read your labels. I love Starbucks coffee, but I rarely get food from there. And if I do, it's usually a multi-grain bagel...that I know I will be burning off in a long run a couple of hours later.

IMO most of the food just doesn't taste good enough for the calories that it costs me.
  • abrown4348
    abrown4348 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

IMO most of the food just doesn't taste good enough for the calories that it costs me.

Amen to that!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

That made me nod my head! Very good way of thinking of it.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just from taking a quick browse on their sites here's what I would order from each:

Starbucks
    Chicken and Hummus Snack Plate
    250 Calories, 17g Protein, and 179g serving size

McDonalds
    Bacon Ranch Chicken Salad (with grilled chicken)
    260 Calories, 33g Protein, and 321g serving size
    Half packet of Southwest dressing = 50 Calories

With McDonalds you get way more food for the money and for the calories. It's almost twice the amount of food from that snack plate.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to bet I can get quite a bit of food from McDs for the calories I'd throw back in just a coffee from Starbucks (because I drink the fancy girly drinks, dontchaknow)
  • pipinan24
    pipinan24 Posts: 14
    Options
    Try working in mcdonalds.. It was hard saying no to that free food at the beginning (after over a year of eating it at least, if not more than once a week) but it's getting easier. I like the grilled chicken salads so at least they have them :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It's generally not fried, so has to be a bit better than mcDs, which as far as I can determine has no nutritional value whatsoever (I have a deep hatred of McDonalds), but no one really thinks Starbucks is healthy, do they? Their large coffees can have 500cals each. Starbucks is the only place to eat within walking distance of my house (just over a mile away), so I used to go a fair bit when my children were small and I didn't drive, but only ever ate yoghurts or fruit bread, and drink peppermint tea.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    It's generally not fried, so has to be a bit better than mcDs, which as far as I can determine has no nutritional value whatsoever (I have a deep hatred of McDonalds), but no one really thinks Starbucks is healthy, do they? Their large coffees can have 500cals each. Starbucks is the only place to eat within walking distance of my house (just over a mile away), so I used to go a fair bit when my children were small and I didn't drive, but only ever ate yoghurts or fruit bread, and drink peppermint tea.

There are drink options that won't break the caloric bank. My indulgent drink is a double tall skim latte for about 100 cals. Usually I just drink drip coffee or an unsweetened iced tea. Or at this time of year my favorite is an iced americano - 5 - 15 calories depending on what size.