homemade freezer meals

Options
is thinking this weekend I will start making my own "freezer meals" so dinner will be quick to make when I get home from work and picking the kiddo up from daycare...any ideas what to make?

Replies

• Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    This recipe was posted by Tralee1111 originally, it is awesome!!!

I did use 8 - 6" corn tortillas instead of the wheat though :)

ENCHILADA LASAGNA

1 lb. fresh ground turkey
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 large green pepper, chopped
    1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
    1 package (8 oz) fat free cream cheese, softened
    1 tsp. chili powder
    1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
    6 whole wheat flour tortillas (8 in)
    1 cup (4 oz) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
    Salsa and reduced fat sour cream, optional

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    2. In a large skillet, cook the turkey, onion and peppers over medium heat untl meat is no longer pink, drain. Cut cream cheese into pieces and add to turkey, along with chili powder.
    3. Pour enchilada sauce in a shallow plate. Dip two tortillas in sauce to coat. Please two tortillas in a 13 x 9 baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spread half of the turkey mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat dipping two tortillas in sauce and then layer on top. Repeat turkey and cheese layers. Dip last two tortillas in sauce and place on top. Sprinkle with cheese.
    4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired.

You can cover and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed above.

If you add salsa and sour cream, you will need to add that into your nutritional total.

Serves 8

Each servning:
    Calories: 282
    Fat: 11g
    Sat Fat: 3g
    Carb: 27g
    Fiber: 2g
    Protein: 22g
    Chol: 697 mg
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Soups are another idea. I freeze them in canning jars and then just have to heat them up.
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Check out Divasdinners.blogspot.com. It's a group of ladies from my sister-in-law's neighborhood that gets together once a month to do freezer meals. They post all of their recipes on the blog and I happily steal every one of them! I've yet to try one I didn't like.
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    I make extra when I cook chili and then freeze the extra in serving size containers. It's super easy to heat up later. If I know I will want it sometime during the week, I just put it in the fridge to thaw. It's super easy. I cook mine with venison; it's low -cal since the meat is so lean.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/freezer-meals has 18 recipes you could try. and i found this

i found this recipe on 3 fat girls on a diet
    Chicken/Broccoli/Rice Casserole (with a twist)
    9 servings, 375 cal. per serving, $1.33 per serving

1 3/4 lbs. (28 oz.) of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    2 1/4 lbs. (36 oz.) of frozen (thaw before using) or fresh broccoli (I got Steamfresh broccoli florets super cheap at Wal-Mart, or I would have bought fresh)
    315 grams (just under 1 3/4 c.) of uncooked brown rice (I used Uncle Ben's natural whole grain brown rice)
    10 oz. can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
    3 c. of water
    1 tbsp. dried minced onion
    1 tsp. of garlic salt
    1/2 tsp. of chili powder
    1/2 tsp. of black pepper

and here comes the "secret" ingredient...

1 1/2 tbsp. of oyster sauce

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the chicken into roughly 1 1/2 inch cubes and throw everything together in a large casserole dish and cook uncovered for 30 minutes, stir thoroughly, and cook an additional 30 minutes or until rice is desired tenderness.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options

ENCHILADA LASAGNA

1 large onion, chopped
    1 tsp. chili powder

2. In a large skillet, cook the turkey, onion and peppers over medium heat untl meat is no longer pink, drain. Cut cream cheese into pieces and add to turkey, along with chili powder.
    3. Pour enchilada sauce in a shallow plate. Dip two tortillas in sauce to coat. Please two tortillas in a 13 x 9 baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spread half of the turkey mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat dipping two tortillas in sauce and then layer on top. Repeat turkey and cheese layers. Dip last two tortillas in sauce and place on top. Sprinkle with cheese.
    4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired.

You can cover and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed above.

If you add salsa and sour cream, you will need to add that into your nutritional total.

Serves 8

Each servning:

this sounds really good! but, how do you determine serving size for this?
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Check out Divasdinners.blogspot.com. It's a group of ladies from my sister-in-law's neighborhood that gets together once a month to do freezer meals. They post all of their recipes on the blog and I happily steal every one of them! I've yet to try one I didn't like.

Thanks! I just checked it out and they do sound pretty good. My question on their recipes, though, is how do you determine the serving size. Do you just say, this looks like 8 servings or how do you figure it out?
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    Bump for later! GREAT idea!
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options

ENCHILADA LASAGNA

1 large onion, chopped
    1 tsp. chili powder

Serves 8

Each servning:

this sounds really good! but, how do you determine serving size for this?

Divide the whole thing into 8 pieces. I cut it down the middle, then into quarters :)
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump.

Meatloaf is also super easy. Just make whatever recipe you like then when it is cool. Wrap serving in plastic wrap and put in the freezer. You could use ground turkey or venison for lower calories.