Belly Dancing Calories

Options
about a year and half ago i lost weight belly dancing, but i quit becuase my husbands best friend moved in,...... not only that but i always felt funny doing it because when your short and round like me your body JUST DON"T MOVE THAT WAY :laugh: they tell you to keep your torso still but move your hips, i do that and it all goes, along with the jiggle. well, anywho even though i jiggled alot, (not a pleasant feeling) i really liked belly dancing, whats better than feeling sexy (as sexy as you can feel while jiggleing) while working out. so NOW my hubbys friend is FINALLY GONE :bigsmile: YIPPY!
and i want to take up belly dancing again, i was told by a friend (who is a teacher in Afaganistan, please pray for her) who also does belly dancing, that if you get a hip scarf that jingles, it helps with the moves and stuff (to bad it doesn't help with the jiggle :laugh: ) so i ordered one last night (it should be here sometime next week.)

SO AFTER ALL THAT what i reallywanted to know does anyone know how many calories you burn belly dancing, i'v already looked for it in the database.

Replies

• ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    about a year and half ago i lost weight belly dancing, but i quit becuase my husbands best friend moved in,...... not only that but i always felt funny doing it because when your short and round like me your body JUST DON"T MOVE THAT WAY :laugh: they tell you to keep your torso still but move your hips, i do that and it all goes, along with the jiggle. well, anywho even though i jiggled alot, (not a pleasant feeling) i really liked belly dancing, whats better than feeling sexy (as sexy as you can feel while jiggleing) while working out. so NOW my hubbys friend is FINALLY GONE :bigsmile: YIPPY!
    and i want to take up belly dancing again, i was told by a friend (who is a teacher in Afaganistan, please pray for her) who also does belly dancing, that if you get a hip scarf that jingles, it helps with the moves and stuff (to bad it doesn't help with the jiggle :laugh: ) so i ordered one last night (it should be here sometime next week.)

SO AFTER ALL THAT what i reallywanted to know does anyone know how many calories you burn belly dancing, i'v already looked for it in the database.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Check over on calorieking.com they have a ton of different things listed and calories burned by different activities i am not sure belly dancing is there but it is a really good possibility it is. have super successful week :flowerforyou:
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    From what I found out by doing my own exercises is that it depends on how much you weigh as to how many calories you burn. Yesterday I went to the rec center and walked on a treadmill and my hr monitor told me I burned alot more calories than what the treadmill said. IF you have the money invest in a hr monitor. I didnt have alot so I bought a hr watch and it also tells the calories I burn also and so far I really like it. It was only $35 at walmart. I know that alot of people use the ones with the chest strap but not sure how much those cost plus my friends on my chest are so big they get in the way of my heart LOL

Connie

86258.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly how many calories bellydancing burns per hour...I use "general dance" at this site to count my calories...it could vary due to the variety of moves and whether or not you were drilling/practing moves/dancing/ or working a DVD... it is of great health benefit to every woman, regardless of age or size, some moves just look more fluid on the tall lanky women...I'm short too...the hip scarf adorns your hips to accentuate the moves and the jingle is just fun, especially in a live class.

I'm so happy for you...I layed off dance for a year about 3 years ago and am very grateful to be studying again...I'm happy that you will be able to as well!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    It depends. . .in a really vigorous class with lots of choreography, I can burn up to 500 calories in a 90 minute class.

On other days, where my teacher is particularly talky and there's more in place slow drilling it can be as little as 200.

the only way to know for sure is a hrm.:flowerforyou: