Exploring Paleo

Options
I'm exploring Paleo as I have heard great things about it, and I always seem to eat waaay too many carbs and sugars. I love meat more than anything in the world, but I also love dairy and grains.

SO Paleo people, I have a few questions:
-How do you kick the cravings for grains (if you have any)?
-Do you still track your calories?
And if so, what do you set your "weight loss per week" goal at?

Any info is helpful, but I'm really curious about the tracking calories and weight loss goal per week settings :smile:

Replies

• IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am curious about Paleo also.
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Options
    Hey! I've been paleo for about a month now, and it is the best thing I could have ever done. I still have the occasional bread/sugar craving, but I do follow the 80/20 rule, so I'll have a little bit of dark chocolate, a sugar-free jello, or just indulge in a what I am craving. However, I do have consequences...it just breeds more cravings and I physically feel bad when I eat it! Another good way to curb those sugar cravings is I like to have fresh berries with heavy cream (I know....dairy not exactly paleo but it is better than some things) with a little stevia.

I do track my calories, but I mostly track my carbs. When I am eating strictly paleo, I am always under my daily calorie limit (2000) by 300-400, where when I was just restricting calories, I was eating and average of 2500 calories because I was so hungry and I would just exercise more so I could eat more. My body just doesn't need that many calories, which is good because I have a lot to lose. I don't really stick to a fixed weigh loss per week. I figure if I don't meet it for one thing or anther (losing fat but gaining muscle, girl TOM, eating what I shouldn't be) I tend to stress which can only make matters worse, so I just focus on eating right. I still lose ~1 lb per week, which is way better than the 1-2/month I was losing on the standard american diet. I exercise when I have energy, I rest when I don't. I think it is more about listening to your body than forcing it to do something it naturally doesn't want to do. Honestly cutting out grains and sugar gets rid of a lot of cravings.

Here are some other good threads to check out if you are interested. They have lots of low carbers/paleo/primal people on them to ask more questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/226494-no-grain-no-pain?hl=no+grain
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/232749-palelo-support-group
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    SO Paleo people, I have a few questions:
    -How do you kick the cravings for grains (if you have any)?

Eat beans and nuts.
    -Do you still track your calories?

Absolutely. Why ever stop?
    And if so, what do you set your "weight loss per week" goal at?

I don't have a per-week goal, I have an overall goal. For me, per-week goals are silly because weight comes off how it wants to. Some weeks I might lose 1lb, some weeks I might lose 5lbs. What's important is that I consistently meet my caloric needs, ratcheting them down as I lose weight to maintain a steady drop in weight, and that over time the weight comes off.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!