Kebaps

Options
LeonaB17
LeonaB17 Posts: 304
doner.jpg

P8200043.jpg

Ok - I know these things are like the most non-diet food ever, but what I want to know is - where can you get one in the US? I ate them when I was studying abroad in France and they were everywhere! But no such thing where I live (Alabama).

Any time I ask about it around here- people think I'm talking about Kabobs - like shish kabobs - not the same thing!

Replies

• LeonaB17
    Options
    OH and by the way the reason I'm asking is they're like one of the most delicious guilty pleasures ever - and I would like to experience one again - on a day when I exercise my rear off and have a LOT of calories to spare.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    It looks like a Mexican Torta.
  • MsKittyCAT
    MsKittyCAT Posts: 217
    Options
    Never heard of or seen anything like this before. What is it made out of and is it possible to make your own?
    From the pics it looks like some kind of biscuit, grilled meat and veggies, and lettuce and sour cream?
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    I've been to France but that's a new one! Maybe you try to make it or come close. (maybe even make it leaner) :tongue:
  • barbsus1991
    barbsus1991 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Donner kebab... soo good and my guilty pleasure too! i'm in the uk and they are everywhere, don't know where you can get them in the US though. Its pitta bread, filled with meat and salad and a choice of sauces... <3
  • jenndugas7
    jenndugas7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Looks like a gyro would be the closest thing in the US. It would only be lamb and served in Greek places. Cucumber sauce (zatziki?) and lettuce, maybe a tomato.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have to take a vacation out to San Diego CA.

http://www.thekebabshop.com/
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Ollie's on Hillcrest & Grelot? This looks like something they may have... check out their site. http://olliesmediterranean.com/mobile-al-mediterranean-grill-menu.htm#rawr1
  • LeonaB17
    Options
    They aren't French - not sure what they are. Similar to a Gyro - but way better in my opinion. The places I ate them were Mister Kebap and Dersim Kebap, It was cheap - 5,50 e for a kebap, fries, and a can coke. At the time that was about $7 US. The ones I had were on a firm but fluffy bread, thicker than a typical pita. Here's another pic of an example of one.

206.jpg
  • LeonaB17
    Options
    Looks like you have to take a vacation out to San Diego CA.

http://www.thekebabshop.com/

Hey that's cool -I'll probably never get to go there, but it's pretty neat to know such a place exists!
  • vlaura
    vlaura Posts: 93
    Options
    Oh man that is the best thing ever, one of the thing I miss from France.
    I was hoping they had some at Makarios and Al's in Birmingham but sadly not. They have pretty tasty gyros and shawarma though, if you are craving something mediterranean :wink: .
  • LeonaB17
    Options
    Have you tried Ollie's on Hillcrest & Grelot? This looks like something they may have... check out their site. http://olliesmediterranean.com/mobile-al-mediterranean-grill-menu.htm#rawr1

I've been there once - I didnt see anything like it on the menu - but I wasn't exactly looking for it at the moment either. They have a very good Caesar wrap there though - I must say :)
  • LeonaB17
    Options
    Oh man that is the best thing ever, one of the thing I miss from France.
    I was hoping they had some at Makarios and Al's in Birmingham but sadly not. They have pretty tasty gyros and shawarma though, if you are craving something mediterranean :wink: .

Yesss!!! So you feel my pain - lol. It's been 7 years since I was there and I have longed for that taste ever since. Nothing here compares, and most people around here don't know what they are. I used to joke around that I'd save up the gazillion dollar airfare to fly overseas just to eat a kebap again. LOL. Until then I guess a Gyro will have to suffice.