Looking to Move

Options
CCSunlight
CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
Okay, so I'm 22 and graduating with a B.A. in Psychology and a minor in Human Relations and Work in 2 weeks from St Anselm College in NH. Except for a semester abroad in London, I've never lived outside of New England. I'd love to move to Boston, but it's so expensive. I've decided to reach out to my fellow MFP'ers! I'm looking to move somewhere out of New England to a city where I can get a studio for less than $1,800/mo and can live a pedestrian lifestyle in a downtown area? Anyone know somewhere like that?

Kate

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Charlotte, NC as long as you live in the Uptown area. :)
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Phialadelphia maybe? I ahven't lived there personally but I know several people who have and really liked it.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I live in Morristown, NJ -- if you want to go random! Everything is walking and pricing is not too bad. Plus just a train ride or bus ride away from NYC and hoboken and close to the beach-- jusss saying!

I love it here
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have any answers for your question...but I was wondering, I have a ba in psychology as well and well, I just don't know what I'm qualified to do to start finding professional positions. If you have time, maybe throw a few suggestions my way?
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    $1800 a month for a studio???? Holy cow, I'll stay in Florida thanks!
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Sacramento, CA. You can get a studio for around $500-$600 / month. The kind of money you're talking about ($1800) would get you the most BEAUTIFUL 4 or 5 bedroom HOUSE here!
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Minneapolis is great! I've lived here for about 7 years... Spring, summer, and fall are awesome! Winter.. well, it gets a little chilly and snowy... but definitely a pedestrian friendly city with great culture! A lot of sports, concerts, etc going on all the time!
  • taniahboo
    taniahboo Posts: 22
    Options
    los angeles is very inexpensive. just saying! I love LA!:happy:
  • AlissaPreuss
    Options
    LOL I can't even conceive of 1800 for a studio... but maybe the studios you're in are super cool and funky. The studios or efficiencies in the area where I live are around 350/month heat water and garbage included.
    However now I suppose you'll all be lol-ing when I tell you I currently live in Fargo, ND. Amazing what location will do to the pricetag of a room to live in. Oh and I really like it here its perfect for my hubby myself and two sons (we are not in studio though that kind of reads that way - I think I'd go nuts and it would have to have padded walls!)
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    San Diego :-) you can certainly live a pedestrian life if you live in the gaslamp (1800 will get you a nice studio or 1bdrm) and it's SAN DIEGO haha
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Here's random: Columbia, Mo. If you lived downtown rent would be way cheaper than $1800/month--you could purchase a condo for less than that. It is a big medical community as well since there is a university. They have a great bus system and it is a very health-conscientious community. Sometimes it's hard to find work there though--but I did work for a company that might be looking for managers or a HR person--downside would be that transportation would be required since they are located north of town. They have homes for kids with developmental disabilities, and my previous boss (she quit a year ago) had a degree is psychology, but she did the hiring and staff management junk...so it would be an option. If you are interested, I can get you the information for the company. They are great people. I also think that Raleigh, NC would be cool--stick with college towns!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    http://www.bestplaces.net/

You can compare citites based on many different criteria.

For example, one lady suggested LA. According to this site, the COL there is 44% HIGHER than the US average.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Fort Worth, Texas if you can find a job in the city. Great place for the non-driving folks.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    CC, you could find a ton of places right outside the city (Boston) for that kind of cash, and just take the T in. For instance, downtown Malden, Davis Sq. Somerville, Wellington Glenwood (in medford, right near the Orange line, (these are all near where I grew up so I know them pretty well)
    are all great places to live, 10 minutes from downtown by the T, and you could easilly find a loft for under 1800 there.

-Steve
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    CC, you could find a ton of places right outside the city (Boston) for that kind of cash, and just take the T in. For instance, downtown Malden, Davis Sq. Somerville, Wellington Glenwood (in medford, right near the Orange line, (these are all near where I grew up so I know them pretty well)
    are all great places to live, 10 minutes from downtown by the T, and you could easilly find a loft for under 1800 there.

-Steve

Thanks! I'm not actually looking to spend that much money, that's just what it seems to cost to move to Boston. I'm really looking for somewhere in a city instead of a T ride away because I'm looking to be able to go out at night and not worry about how I'm getting back. I really miss being in a city. My major concern about Boston is finding a job that will pay enough to cover both rent and my student loans. But I figure if there's any time in my life to just take off and go, this is it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

-Steve

Thanks! I'm not actually looking to spend that much money, that's just what it seems to cost to move to Boston. I'm really looking for somewhere in a city instead of a T ride away because I'm looking to be able to go out at night and not worry about how I'm getting back. I really miss being in a city. My major concern about Boston is finding a job that will pay enough to cover both rent and my student loans. But I figure if there's any time in my life to just take off and go, this is it.

I hear ya. Actually I can't blame you, I'm pretty much sick of MA anyway. I've lived around Boston my whole life, and I gotta tell you, it's expensive, the weather is all over the place, the people are kinda rude (now that I've been around the world, I can truely say that), and the driving sucks something fierce. So yeah, I can't blame you. If I didn't have a really good job, and live in a great neighborhood, I'd move too. Even now the wife and I chat about moving to FL about once a month. If only there was a good IT market down there. *sigh*