Keeping the hrm pad thingy's wet?

Options
Painten
Painten Posts: 499 Member
I've been using my hrm for a bit now. I've only been doing 30 min workouts. Today though i did an hour zumba class. I walked there and so put my hrm on before i left, wetting the pad thingies as usual. I noticed about 20 minutes in it just stopped working. Very annoying. It was a tougher workout than i've been doing at home. When i finished i took the strap off as it was rubbing and i noticed the pads were completely dry. I ended up using the mfp entry which is roughly what i'd get if i x the 20 minutes reading by 3. I was sweating like crazy how some of the sweat didn't get on them i don't know. How do you keep them wet?

Replies

• CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    They make a gel just for this purpose. I've seen it at stores like Performance Bike. It's the same kind of gel they use on you when you get an ultrasound :)
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    ps, what HRM do you use? I have a Polar and a Garmin. Neither of them require the use of gel or licking. My fiance is a furry, furry teddy bear, however, and because he has so much fur between his skin and his HRM, he does use the gel I mentioned in my previous post.
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with my hrm last night. It stopped working in the middle of my workout and it is so frustrating because it distracts me from my workout and I get aggrivated because it is saying I am burning way less than what I know I am!
  • amyo1300
    amyo1300 Posts: 8
    Options
    I hold mine under the running faucet to make sure they are thoroughly soaked, and then once I get into my workout my sweat does keep them wet. Sometimes I wear it for up to 2 hours and I have never had it "dry out."

If wetting it really well first doesn't work, I have seen that gel on Amazon for a reasonable price.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have a Sport Line, and while it may need to gel or being licked as of yet I have had no problem with it at all. And it sits right under the band on my sport bra, it is plenty wet when I am done! How long have you had it? Could it be defective?
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Well I just use spit. Yup, good old fashioned salvia. LOL You can also use the gel but I don't want to buy something when I can use something free. :) Anyway, my sensors never dry out. I've noticed that since using my HRM my stomach appears to be sweating because sweat collects int he band and drips down my stomach. Yes, not too attractive I know.

In your case, are you just wetting it with water? If so, that will evaporate too quickly. I would suggest spit or the special gel. Good luck!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I never have this problem I'm dripping weight after during and after my workout my whole chest strap stay soaked! LOL
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    Yup, good old fashioned salvia. LOL

LOL She soaks hers in drugs! That'd make for an interesting workout ;)

Hey, how old are the batteries in your HRM? When mine runs low on batteries, it poops out like yours did.
  • shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    In another forum someone said about cleaning the pad -- and all I do is take a washcloth with water and rub it on the pads before my workout - this cleans it and wets it at the same time and I never had it stop working on me when I am working out and I have had it on for 2.5 hours at times.

PS -- My first strap didn't work right and I did have to get a new one. It would take forever to start up and then also it would stop as I used it so maybe there is something wrong with it.