How often does everyone weigh themselves?

Options
Hi all,
I was just wondering how often you weighed yourselves? I used to do it daily at around the same time if i could but it would fluctuate up and down. I don't think that was a good idea because of the bodies natural digestion process which can alter based on what's been consumed. I now do it once a week, same day / time or as near as. I think that gives a more true representation of your actual weight, plus it cuts out the daily stress of 'oh my god, I've put on a pound'.
Any thoughts or best practices?

Replies

• rebeccaS85
    rebeccaS85 Posts: 141
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday at least once, however I only record it once or twice a week. I find it keeps me motivated.
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning before breakfast, even when I'm not following a strict diet or counting calories. It helps me to keep track of whether or not I'm slowly gaining any weight, and it also helps to keep me motivated!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Every Thursday morning....before my workout.....right after I get up.....
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am opposite of most, I weigh myself once a week or more. I tend to loose inches and not pounds. I have literally taken my scale to the trash and tossed it, (bought a new one). My Dr. states this is common and best to look at loosing pant and shirt size as loosing numbers on the scale. If I end up a size 2 at the same weight though, there is a problem.:laugh:

The scale depresses me, so when my pants are tight, I need to change my ways. When I see a large number loss, that excites me the most!
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Every day, the once a week thing was really not working for me. I like to see how I'm trending and adjust accordingly. I enter all loses but no gains. That said, I report on here only every Friday. This method has really helped to keep me motivated.
  • keynesian
    keynesian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Every morning before I dress. There's no daily stress at all even if they show a pound or two more... it's the trend line that's important. Daily fluctuations are due to many reasons but having the daily information itself isn't a bad thing - it's how you react to it that dictates how often a person should weigh.
  • nkenga
    nkenga Posts: 46
    Options
    The scale is a DEmotivator for me - I might weight the same for a couple of weeks or more, but my clothes will fit better and better. I once GAINED 2 pounds back that I had lost, but my pants were starting to drop off my butt!

I decided to stop looking at the scale for a while, but I'm still watching my calories and exercising.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    weekly...... always in the morning after I wake up, wearing the same thing..... my neon green man thong....... oh sorry.... TMI?? :laugh: :laugh:

OK, definitely a joke...... :noway: :noway:
  • luci2403
    luci2403 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing myself every other week and taking my measurements in the weeks in-between.

I find that really works for me as I have something to look forward to each week whether it's weight or inch lost :-)
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Once a week, at the gym, same day, same time (before workout) and same basic water intake, clothes etc. Log the number and move on.

It is really the only way I can do it and stay sane.

Everyone is different, and the scale can be a useful motivational and information tool for some, I have read many posts where people say it keeps them on track.

I found that it kicked up my obsessive tendencies in a harmful way. I was weighing at every opportunity and using "bad results" (as you pointed out, natural fluctuations) as a reason to starve myself and over-exercise. "Good" results led to minutely analyzing what I had done to attain that number. Not good for the mind or body.

I think, however, that it is important to remember that the scale is only a component in being healthy. I am still very overweight and need to monitor loss to make sure I am getting to a healthy weight. However, after I get to a certain point the weekly weigh-ins will stop and I will just look to setting new fitness goals.
  • amoffatt
    Options
    weekly...... always in the morning after I wake up, wearing the same thing..... my neon green man thong....... oh sorry.... TMI?? :laugh: :laugh:

OK, definitely a joke...... :noway: :noway:

LOL!
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I used to do it daily, but I found that to be useless because of water weight and such, my weight would just fluctuate too much and it began making me really unhealthy about weight loss.

Now I do it once a week, every Wednesday but I don't go just by weight I also go by body fat %
  • amoffatt
    Options
    Well said PirateJenny! With previous eating disorders in high school and allowing the scale to dictate my issues (not everyone is like this with the scale) I cannot face it very oftern, once a week or once every 2 weeks. I do weigh myself of course, but everyone has to do what works for them. If the scale doesnt scare you... I envy you...:happy:
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Almost never. Too scared. I have no accurate idea of how much I weigh.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Every 2 to 3 weeks. I have found it more rewarding to "feel" the difference than to see a number on a scale. By "feel" I mean when you notice that your pants are looser, or the first time I jumped and didn't feel my beer belly do the jello on a plate routine!
  • 8one6
    8one6 Posts: 7
    Options
    Every morning before my shower, but I only record once a week.
  • littlenoms
    littlenoms Posts: 46
    Options
    Once a week, Friday mornings before breakfast and my shower.

I usually take my measurements every 3-4 weeks.
  • Covy77
    Covy77 Posts: 3
    Options
    Once a week before I eat anything for the day.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Not very often, and not on a set day, but always in the morning after I've gone to the bathroom before showering.
  • AW30
    AW30 Posts: 14
    Options
    About once a week.