heart rate monitor recommendations needed

Options
Mely
Mely Posts: 166 Member
What type of heart rate monitor / calorie counter thingy do you guys recommend and why? I want to get one online. URL would be appreciated.

Replies

• Mely
    Options
    What type of heart rate monitor / calorie counter thingy do you guys recommend and why? I want to get one online. URL would be appreciated.
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    thats funny, i was just looking at them on ebay. (please don't bid on mine):laugh:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Polar F6--best for general purposes. There's a women's version, too--follow the 2nd link for that. Not cheap but worth it. I went cheap with my first one and sent it back after 1 month.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Monitor-Watch-Design/dp/B00136U9TW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1219680939&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B000WPCMMM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1219680939&sr=8-2
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F11 - only real differences between the f6 and f11 are that the f11 has the fit test, trainer, and a more comfy strap. The strap matters a lot if you're going to be wearing it for hours.
  • Mely
    Options
    Thanks. Just found a strap free monitor by Oregon Scientific (SE138) that is around $60 but they are out of stock. Anyone use this one or this company?
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I bought mine (Polar F4) off of EBAY and I love it... :love:
    I got it for about $65, including shipping...

The F4 is similar to the F6 that shorerider recommends... it's just a step down and doesn't have as many of the features (including an interference blocker if you work out around other people with an HRM)... I think the F6 also keeps better track of your workouts for future reference...

I love my F4 for now, I might upgrade to an F6 someday....

Hope this helps!

GOOD LUCK!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Thanks. Just found a strap free monitor by Oregon Scientific (SE138) that is around $60 but they are out of stock. Anyone use this one or this company?

You need the strap or else it's pretty much useless for counting exercise calories. Without the strap, the only way it knows your HR is for you to stop and press the little buttons. And that is not going to give you an accurate HR or an accurate exercise calorie burned. The strap is not bad--I don't even notice I've got mine on at all.
  • Mely
    Options
    I'm thinking strap-free would be best especially if I just want to throw it on for a short time to measure short tasks like cleaning and walking the dog. What do you experts think? That strap looks annoying.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Without the strap, all you have is an expensive watch.
  • petunia
    Options

You need the strap or else it's pretty much useless for counting exercise calories. Without the strap, the only way it knows your HR is for you to stop and press the little buttons. And that is not going to give you an accurate HR or an accurate exercise calorie burned. The strap is not bad--I don't even notice I've got mine on at all.

I agree with shorerider... mine fits right under my bra strap, and I don't notice it at all... the only time it bugs me is if I wear it for a LONG time (like I wore it once for an entire day to see how many calories I burned in a day) ...
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Without the strap, all you have is an expensive watch.

I second Shorerider. Without the strap, you won't be able to track your HR and calories burned over time. You will need to stop what you are doing every few minutes to put your fingers on the watch to get a HR reading - kinda a pain and for $60 - you can put a couple more bucks on top of that and get a Polar F-4 or F-6 with the strap.

I have the Polar F-11 with the strap - wear it everyday and love it!
  • Mely
    Options
    OK - I relent and will look for one with a strap. What is the consensus on the model? Polar F-4 or F-6 or F-11? I'm not a big athlete. I mostly want it for the calorie counting for everyday tasks and walking. I'm trying to build up my running time but I'm so out of shape that it's physically painful!
  • shorerider
    Options
    F-4 if you don't do gym

F-6 if you do because it can use its own frequencies so you don't pick up other HRM wearers HR.

F-11--if you have a lot of money and want more bells and whistles than you'll probably use.
  • Mely
    Options
    OK - so F4 it is.

I also saw this Oregon Scientific monitor written up with a good review? Any comments?

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=3&scid=9&pid=785
  • shorerider
    Options
    check and make sure that F4 comes with strap--I can't remember if someone said they did or didn't.
  • shorerider
    Options
    OK - so F4 it is.

I also saw this Oregon Scientific monitor written up with a good review? Any comments?

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=3&scid=9&pid=785

go cheap, get what you pay for--Like I said, I tried cheap first too. thing never worked. sent it back. bought polar
  • Mely
    Options
    Last question -- where's the best (cheapest) place to buy one online??
  • shorerider
    Options
    For that, you'll just have to check. Some have got them off eBay. I got mine from Amazon because I get free shipping and I know if I have problems with it, Amazon takes it back with no problem.
  • petunia
    Options
    check and make sure that F4 comes with strap--I can't remember if someone said they did or didn't.

The F4 does come with a chest strap. :bigsmile:
  • petunia
    Options
    I got mine off Ebay - about $65 including shipping...

GOOD LUCK!