Golf calories

ErikN
ErikN Posts: 13 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
OK, so I walked a round of golf today, for about 3 1/2 hours, and it says here that I burned a whopping 1300 calories doing so. That seems really high to me. Anyone have any ammended or more reasonable numbers to attribute to a round of golf?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    I'd probably just go with 50-60% of what MFP calculated for that.
  • shivers42
    shivers42 Posts: 20
    Have you ever tried wearing a heart rate monitor? You can borrow one and it will give you an accurate reading based on your heart rate and body weight. Worth a try?
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Were you carrying your bag? I've heard golf can burn lots of calories but I don't know if it would be THAT much... Anyhow, I have no clue :laugh:
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    I wondered the same thing myself. I golfed for 3 hours, but of course there is so down time...so I ended up calculating about half the time actually walking. I'd be interested to find out how accurate that is myself...keep us posted!

6128792.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Jbertak
    Jbertak Posts: 3
    I use a pedometer for all actitivity; my "walking style" Omron (about $30 at pharmacy) accurately tells me how many steps I've taken; how many aerobic steps I've taken and how many miles I've walked. All that said, when I walk the golf course, it really depends on which course I'm playing - my home course is flat, makes for an easier walk - the course I play every Sat. a.m. is a hilly "sum*****" requiring a lot more calories from me to get my still chunky (299 lbs.) *kitten* around it. But at least I can walk it this year - I've lost 125 lbs. since my gastric sleeve surgery less than six months ago. Not bad for a 65-year-old. My golf game and my overall condition is better than it's been in 20 years.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    I agree with other posters. I would go with about half of what Mpf said. If you burned 3 calories a minutes, then that would be 630 calories for 3 1/2 hours. Much more reasonable amount :smile:
  • sioannone
    sioannone Posts: 13 Member
    There are several sites where you can calculate calories based on your weight. Most seem to be around 250-260 per hour for a 150 pound person walking and pulling your clubs. Just google or try these:
    www.nutristrategy.com or
    www.changingshape.com

Don't know your weight but that would be 880 - 980 for 3.5 hours at 150 pounds!!!!!
  • ErikN
    ErikN Posts: 13 Member
    Yeah, I weigh 191 (down 35 since christmas - yay!) and the other sites you listed showed the same numbers. About 375 cal/hr walking (pulling clubs) for a guy my size. Maybe it is right, but boy, it sure doesn't feel like it. Lots of golf in my future if this is for real.
This discussion has been closed.