Rant! So angry!

2»

Replies

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Water balloons? I live in a very outdoorsy/active area, but I once had a group of teenagers drive by and throw a cup of coffee at me while I was out walking my dog (I was walking on the sidewalk minding my own business!). I suppose hooligans will be hooligans. They didn't hit me, but I called the cops with their license plate anyway. By the time I walked around the corner, a trooper was writing them tickets. I waved and smiled, lol.

I've never been bothered while running or biking, but I usually wear a Marine Corps shirt when I'm exercising.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Revenge is sooooo sweet sometime. Love it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ruthiemat2
    ruthiemat2 Posts: 15
    Im sorry to hear that. I live in california and most people here ride in the street and the sidewalk. There are always people riding there bikes so that never happens here. I hope things get better. <3
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Call your city hall and see if there is a bikers group in town and/or any sort of advocacy for educating folks about bikers' rights. Apparently this can help change attitudes.

I think it's great that you are making the effort. Keep it up!
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Yep, sounds like Wisconsin. I live in WI too, but in a smaller area so it's not to bad. Hang in there and keep on biking... you guys are doing great!!! :)
  • I come from a very small, rural Minnesota, town and I hear you. We do have a lot of walkers so I think that is more tolerated. There are people who bike for exercise on the local trail but it is almost unheard of for people to bike to work. I say Keep It Up! It is time for all the folks in Meat and Potato Land 'O 10,000 Creamers to get used to healthy habits! Nice Job!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Please be careful. People have been assaulted by having things thrown at them while on their bikes. Here in South Carolina there was a young man that was the victim of a hit and run while he was on his bike.

Some people are just cruel. :grumble:

Oh trust me, I know to be careful. I am considering purchasing a small thing of pepper spray for when I walk alone.

I wear a police whistle, too. I have found that using the whistle in lieu of turn indicators along with my arms (I would just use the arm signals, but it turns out nobody remembers what they mean - guess it's been a while since most people have ridden bikes.

the whistle is great! sometimes i use it to "yell" at someone, like if they cut me off, take a right in front of me (because i don't exist) but mainly i use it to let people know i'm there. we have to remember that being behind the wheel puts ALL OF US in a weird position of tunnel vision. besides, there are so many other things to *do* other than drive: smoke, eat, be important on the cell phone, yell at the kids, etc... why driving is the last thing anyone does. paying attention is even further down on the list. so we have to do it for them.

don't be afraid on your bike. you have to ride safely and aggressively. if you're too far over on the right, they may not see you. some people are *kitten*, but some people may yell and honk because you startled them; i know i yell and blow my whistle when they startle me, so i can't imagine it's all that different.

i don't like the mindset of car drivers, but they are people and i can empathize to a point. keep yourself visible and ride as if you belonged there, because you do.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    I come from a very small, rural Minnesota, town and I hear you. We do have a lot of walkers so I think that is more tolerated. There are people who bike for exercise on the local trail but it is almost unheard of for people to bike to work. I say Keep It Up! It is time for all the folks in Meat and Potato Land 'O 10,000 Creamers to get used to healthy habits! Nice Job!

it'll be way more popular as gas prices go up. then we won't be hearing anything except a whole lot of wheezing. :) but it's all for the best.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    ah hecklers. i was very very naughty last time i encountered a group of hardcore yobs. i was cycling along a cycle/foot path and there was a group of about 10-12 teenagers drinking and walking along ahead of me i shouted ahead so they knew i was coming along but the little darlings decided it would be fun to link arms and block the entire width of the path i got closer and asked again to be let through, no joy, tried again was met with laughter and abuse, i'm not a very patient person so let them get a bit ahead, and put my foot down quite litteraly, got myself going at a nice speed and turned the little darlings into skittles, not quite a strike but i left 6 of them in a heap cursing me, to which i replied "you should have got out of the way when i politely asked you then", i confess to feeling quite smug about it but it quickly dwindled when i got a bit further a long and saw a lone runner heading towards where i last saw them. to this day i hope i didn't cause him any grief with them
This discussion has been closed.