opinions please! This the ONLY issue/concern I have with eat

Options
I get it, I do. I understand the deficit, and I know we need to eat them back. Dont worry. My issue is days like today. Its around 6:30pm my time and I have around 600 calories left for dinner (which im probably not going to get all in). Ive been eating all day, ive had my peanut butter and almonds to run up the calories, and I havent been hungry. (I start with 1200 and I burned about 500 so far today). NOW im kinda bored right now and part of me wants to go work out. The other part says well if I go work out ill be left with even MORE extra calories and thats bad. This is the only issue I have, because working out sounds like the better option, but is it really if its gonna put me in starvation mode? I realize that takes time, but days like today seem to happen often. Im hooked on working out what can I say. I cant keep shoving food down my throat just to do it. What do you think?

Replies

• chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually have hundreds of spare calories a day.
    I usually don't even eat 1000 calories a day.
    I don't go into "starvation mode", my health is great, I don't worry about it.
    Just do what your body tells you.
  • Bonkin
    Bonkin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it. It's not going to wreck anything going some days without eating all your workout calories.

If you want to workout again, go ahead.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    work out if you feel energetic...you do not have to eat all of those calories ...especially at the end of the day
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    this might be helpful
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

if you go work out, won't you work up additional appetite and want to eat more?
  • mllowe2
    mllowe2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I notice when I get my 1200 in and don't eat back the ones I gain from exercise, I don't get the little "starvation mode" message at the bottom of my food diary. The only time I get that message is when I go below the original 1200. So I wouldn't worry about it! Good luck and keep up the hard work!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some time and your body will adjust to eating the calories. Being under for a few days isn't going to hurt you
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I usually have hundreds of spare calories a day.
    I usually don't even eat 1000 calories a day.
    I don't go into "starvation mode", my health is great, I don't worry about it.
    Just do what your body tells you.

not yet......... and looking at your diary you will have to eat like this for the rest of your life or as soon as you stop you'll gain all if not more than the weight you lost back. 1800 calories in one meal? eating only one meal a day of HIGH fat, high sodium foods is not going to give you overall good health even if you lose 100 lbs. You are a chef.. you could make delicous and nutricious meals!!

to the OP... is this a common thing? Maybe try cutting your workouts shorter earlier in the day. Every once and a while of being under 1200 will not harm you, but consistantly it will.
  • ColeyCannoli
    ColeyCannoli Posts: 147
    Options
    I notice when I get my 1200 in and don't eat back the ones I gain from exercise, I don't get the little "starvation mode" message at the bottom of my food diary. The only time I get that message is when I go below the original 1200. So I wouldn't worry about it! Good luck and keep up the hard work!

Same, no one seems to notice this. Eating them back isn't bad though since you gotta keep your energy up when working out so much. Just keep in mind that a lot of the numbers for exercise and food are approximate so you don't have to worry about being completely exact, 100 one way or the other prob won't hurt :)

You know your body better than anyone here, listen to it.
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question the other day. At night (this is when I most often work out) I find I may have anywhere from 100-900 calories left over for the day. I am not comfortable eating that many right before I go to bed. Someone suggested I eat a little more for breakfast, snack or lunch the following day. I haven't actually DONE that yet...but it makes very good sense to me! Good luck!
  • XxXstars9967XxX
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, you shouldn’t eat back the calories you burn. Set your daily caloric intake based upon your height, weight and age. Then to lose weight, you eat that amount and exercise. Shoot to burn an extra 500 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, you shouldn’t eat back the calories you burn. Set your daily caloric intake based upon your height, weight and age. Then to lose weight, you eat that amount and exercise. Shoot to burn an extra 500 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week.

This thread is a trainwreck.

If your goal is to lose MUSCLE then you shouldn't eat back the calories you burn. If your goal is to lose fat and to build or maintain muscle, you have to eat.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

MFP already gives you a calorie deficit so that you can burn .5-2 pounds per week. If you choose to lose 1 pound per week MFP will calculate your BMR plus your average daily activity and will subtract that 500 calories so that you don't need to exercise if you want to lose 1 pound per week. That's why you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories, so that you don't have a deficit that is too large.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

If your goal is to lose MUSCLE then you shouldn't eat back the calories you burn. If your goal is to lose fat and to build or maintain muscle, you have to eat.

Thank you! I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand!
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Thank you! I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand!

agreed.
  • ColeyCannoli
    ColeyCannoli Posts: 147
    Options

Agreed, but it might not be smart to eat a bunch of extra calories at night just before sleeping. If you work out really hard one night and can't eat it all then maybe carry a few of them over to the next day.

I've noticed a lot of the exercises on MFP are way over what my HRM says (at least for me), so I worry that some people will be over eating if they force a binge just to make up the deficit. It seems especially telling if I can work out for 2 hours a day and only build up a 500-600 deficit and some people will walk themselves to 900+ at the end of the day?

Course I don't think they shouldn't eat, but at least be careful what you eat. Don't make up for it with a few hundred calories of candy. And if you really can't stuff yourself anymore... don't.
  • XxXstars9967XxX
    Options

Oh so u must mean that my doctor who told me i've gained muscle and lost weight from NOT EATING MY CALORIES BACK waas wrong? are you a doctor? no didn't think so
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Agreed, but it might not be smart to eat a bunch of extra calories at night just before sleeping. I

Why?
    Oh so u must mean that my doctor who told me i've gained muscle and lost weight from NOT EATING MY CALORIES BACK waas wrong? are you a doctor? no didn't think so

Yes, that is wrong. If you eat approximately at your maintenance calories, you can remain about the same weight but change your body composition to have less fat and more muscle. If you eat at a deficit, you are unlikely to gain any muscle.
  • XxXstars9967XxX
    Options
    Agreed, but it might not be smart to eat a bunch of extra calories at night just before sleeping. I

Why?
    im gunan trust my doctor over some random person on the internet

Yes, that is wrong.
  • XxXstars9967XxX
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to eat fewer calories than your body uses. Calories are the amount of energy in the food you eat. Some foods have more calories than others. For example, foods that are high in fat and sugar are also high in calories. If you eat more calories than your body uses, the extra calories will be stored as body excess fat.

A pound of fat is about 3,500 calories. To lose 1 pound of fat in a week, you have to eat 3,500 fewer calories (that is 500 fewer calories a day), or you have to "burn off" an extra 3,500 calories. You can burn off calories by exercising or just by being more active. (Talk to your family doctor before you begin any type of exercise program. Your doctor can help you determine what kind of exercise program is right for you.)

The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat fewer calories and be active. If you cut 250 calories from your diet each day and exercise enough to burn off 250 calories, that adds up to 500 fewer calories in one day. If you do this for 7 days, you can lose 1 pound of fat in a week.

Many experts believe you should not try to lose more than 2 pounds per week. Losing more than 2 pounds in a week usually means that you are losing water weight and lean muscle mass instead of losing excess fat. If you do this, you will have less energy, and you will most likely gain the weight back.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Please, folks... Read these threads to understand how MFP was designed. It is NOT like other counters/plans. Other plans use your exercise to create your deficit, spreading the burns out over the week and keeping your deficit stable.

MFP creates a built in deficit, based on your chosen loss per week goal, regardless of exercise. It is designed to help you lose weight whether you exercise or not. It adds cals back in to keep that deficit stable, and therefore your loss stable and sustainable.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/222019-60-lbs-in-60-days?hl=60+lbs