weight stuck at a set number

Options
rvest
rvest Posts: 17 Member
Help someone! I have been very careful and not one single day to cheat on my diet. My weight has stalled at the same number for just over 2 weeks. I want to confirm, by exercising daily, should I add the number of calories to what I am consuming or eat the regular amount? I am running daily, and am so hungry that the regular calories just aren't enough. I have been dizzy and shaky. Mathematically I am eating about 500-600 less a day than burning at least, but the scale won't budge. On the other hand, my clothes are getting huge! Any advice?

Replies

• rvest
    rvest Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Help someone! I have been very careful and not one single day to cheat on my diet. My weight has stalled at the same number for just over 2 weeks. I want to confirm, by exercising daily, should I add the number of calories to what I am consuming or eat the regular amount? I am running daily, and am so hungry that the regular calories just aren't enough. I have been dizzy and shaky. Mathematically I am eating about 500-600 less a day than burning at least, but the scale won't budge. On the other hand, my clothes are getting huge! Any advice?
  • JennyGetsFitness
    Options
    IMHO and experience, running won't help you lose weight. I complete 4 half-marathons last years and was training, the weight was just creaping in. Once I started a toning program, the magic happened. So, I run maybe once a week now.
    Read this for more
    http://jennygetsfitness.blogspot.com/2008/05/running-and-weight-loss-or-lack-thereof.html
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

Yes, you should and need to eat your exercise calories. If you have been dizzy and shaky, that is very bad--EAT! Your body is probably starving.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    OOPS! I posted with too many posts open and lost my mind...LOL It's the four walls...they are closing in on me!!! AHHHHH!!

stupid_post_bear.jpg
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    EAT!!! Eat your exercise calories. I had the same problem and stayed at the same weight for about 2 months. People told me to 'shock' my body by eating something you don't normally eat like Pizza. Then get back to the lifestyle change of eating. But you have to eat your exercise calories.
  • Emdicio
    Emdicio Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    As the others have said, you need to eat your daily calorie requirement and most/all of your execrise calories. Go too far below your bodies daily needs (resting plus exercise) and it thinks you are starving it and will start to retain all the food/calories it can. If/when this happens, it might take 2-4 weeks of good intake cycle for your body's defense mechanism to relax and stop saving those extra calories (as fat).

Also, occasional plateaus will happen - lots of anecdotal evidence on here to know that's a normal response. I lost steady weight for the first 5 weeks and then stalled for 10 days. When I started losing again I lost a lot in a week (6 pounds) and then bounced back up 3; have been on a regular 1.5-2 pound weekly loss since. I almost always eat within 250 cals (+/-) of my daily requirement.

Hope this is helpful.....Mike
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    I agree, you need to eat, dizzy and shaky is never a good thing. I have been stuck at the same spot forever it seems now, i lost thirty pounds and now nothing. So i re-evaluated my calorie needs and weight loss goals and realized i need to eat more now that my body is burning more with a more active lifestyle
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options

AHHHH!!! I had too many windows opened and I muffed up my post! Hokay...reading...reading...Hokay...

Eat your calories girlie!!! EAT THEM! That is what they are there for...Think Michael Phelps...Hokay, but after thinking about him (YUM!) think about the calories he has to take in each day to keep up with his workouts...It ranged anywhere from 8000 - 12000 according to different news reports. So EAT GIRLIE EAT!

So not only is this a sign you need to eat more, but a stall can mean you are losing inches so keep up the great work with running! I noticed VERY quickly that inches were melting when I started running AND my weight didn't move. I tried on a pair of pants one day and wow...they were too big! So just keep up your hard work. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • JennyGetsFitness
    Options
    If you want to lose weight while running you need to eat a lot more carbs then any other diet recommends. I've been eating 40c/30f/30p at 1600-1800 to maintain weight (1400-1600 to lose) and that is NOT ENOUGH for me to run on!
    I get dizzy and shaky as you described.
    And I get a headache.
    I read this article and for runners to lose weight the proportions are 50 carbs/25p/25f!!!!
    I will never lose weight eating that much carbs even if I run. But I will feel good running with that much carbs!

Read more about runners diet :

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304--7771-3-1X3-3,00.html

Good luck!