vegetables...

Options
Vegetables are hard! Why did no one make me eat them as a child?! Seriously. The only veggies we ever ate growing up were canned corn and canned green beans. Now I'm an adult and vegetables make me gag. No, I'm not kidding you, as embarrassing as it is, it really happens.

I like spinach. Tomato. Zucchini. That's it. I will eat carrots if they are cooked to mush and mixed with something else. I have a really hard time with texture...that crunchy, doesn't feel like I will ever chew it enough to swallow it thing, yeah, can't do that. Therefore, I prefer vegetables cooked. Prefer isn't even the right word....I will have a better mindset going in to it if they're cooked....And lettuce? Is the most bitter, disgusting thing in the whole world! BLAH!

PLEASE! Help a girl out here. Tell me your favorite way to eat vegetables and what vegetables they are. I'm trying really, really hard here. I have an open mind and I'll try anything once.

Thanks!

Replies

• cfer843625
    cfer843625 Posts: 57
    Options
    Wish I could help, I hate veggies too!! I just kinda try to force myself... sometimes... lol it is tough tho!!
  • kk281
    kk281 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    heb brocoli stirfry mix, stirfired in a large pan on high heat with a tablespoon of flax oil. salt peper and season to taste
  • istoleyourgoat
    Options
    I'm trying, I really just want to find some I LIKE! I want so badly to like the darn things!
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you hate veggies then find other high fiber options.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I love sugar snap peas- cooked anyway lol even raw :)
    Sweet potato with cinnamon
    Spinach raw with garlic and a little bit of EVOO or cooked with tomatoes and garlic
    Roasted red potatoes with dijon mustard and scallions
    Sometimes I like to make a stir fry with tons of veggies :) Cabbage, baby corn, water chestnuts, spinach, cilantro, snap peas, carrots, snow peas... anything :)
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    A couple of things I like to do:

mix potatoes, fresh green beans, onions, pepper, zucchini-basically any fresh veg works and the more the merrier! Toss with some olive oil and sprinkle lightly with dry french onion soup mix. Roast until potatoes are cooked.

I am big fan of beets and I love to wrap a couple of fresh beets in foil and put them in my crock pot and let them cook unit soft. From there I stick them in the fridge until I am ready to add to a salad. The skin slides right off.

Spinach is my absolute favorite veg- it is so easy to sneak it in to any recipe! Wilt it a bit in the microwave and add to pasta sauce, chop it up and mix it with raw ground beef/chicken and hide it in your burgers. I even throw some in to my homemade fruit smoothies-the color is weird, but the fruit is sweet enough to hide the taste.

Good luck!
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm a southern girl, so I make a lot of casseroles with the veggies all mixed in :) I also love sauteed veggies: zucchini and summer squash, peppers and onions. Yum! I eat sugar snap peas, baby carrots, and green beans raw like chips. If that's not your thing, don't worry about it! You've got a decent list of veggies that you'll eat, as I see it :)
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Asparagus! Break the hard end off (it should snap) and then wrap them in foil with olive oil/butter with garlic, salt, and pepper.

About 1/2 and hour and pure deliciousness.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Well, I love vegetables so many of the ways I prepare them probably won't appeal to you. I did however want to say two things.

1. If you keep trying the vegetables you will probably develop a taste for at least some of them. The texture could be an issue but if you can eat them cooked try lightly steaming them and see if softer but not totally mushy is doable. My husband was like you when I met him but over time I've managed to get him to eat and even like a much broader variety of vegetables.

2. Smoothies! I do mine with a base of spinach, kale, broccoli, romaine lettuce or some other leafy green. Then I add fruit to it and by the time it's all blended up you can't even taste the veggies and the texture is like a milk shake. There are tons of recipes online, just google "green smoothie recipes" and you'll have lots to choose from. There are also smoothie bars around and most have green smoothie options but be careful here because some of them can be terribly high in calories. You can add all sorts of other veggies to a smoothie too and they hide well. Carrots disappear and just add some sweetness.

Otherwise you may want to add a green powder to your day until you can convince yourself to eat more veggies. :)

ETA: There is a book called "Deceptively Delicious" that's geared toward hiding pureed veggies in foods to get your kids to eat them. I don't know what kinds of foods you like to eat but a cookbook like that might help you at least sneak them in until you can tolerate them better. Check the library before you go spend the money on it. :)
  • nightingail
    nightingail Posts: 16
    Options
    Try to stir fry them. It brings out there natural sugars and makes them taste better. You can also try to bake them. Almost any veggie taste great baked with a little bit of salt & pepper, a splash or milk and some cheese sprinkled on top.
  • janetl32
    janetl32 Posts: 3
    Options
    Kale chips are great. I don't like greens but love these chips. Tear the kale into bite size pieces after washing it and drying it thoroughly. Put parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spread out the torn leaves. Discard the stalks. Sprinkle the leaves with olive oil (lightly) and salt. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Watch to make sure they don't burn. You can store them in an airtight container.
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are great. I don't like greens but love these chips. Tear the kale into bite size pieces after washing it and drying it thoroughly. Put parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spread out the torn leaves. Discard the stalks. Sprinkle the leaves with olive oil (lightly) and salt. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Watch to make sure they don't burn. You can store them in an airtight container.

Great idea....I am going to try this recipe!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Well you certainly have a dilema. The only thing I can think to say is learn to eat them, whatever they are, a little at a time. It's much like anything else on this journey of weight loss, we have to learn to eat less of some things and more of others. I'd say you'd be fine just managing to force down whatever vegs you can tolerate, and eat other high fiber, high potassium foods, like fruit. If you don't cook much I can understand not liking vegetables, but if you do cook, there are thousands of delicious ways to prepare them. Steam, saute, roast, bake, broil and grill. Mix with spices, and lots of garlic. I do hope you like garlic, lol.
    Tonight we had grilled yellow squash with a tiny bit of olive oil brushed on them. Out of this world. But once again, if you don't like vegs to begin with, you'll have to acquire a taste for them and learn how to prepare them so they taste good to you. I wouldn't beat myself up too bad if I were you, it's not your fault that you didn't have them as a child, and it's certainly ok to learn how to replace them with other foods. I might suggest roasting them with a little olive oil and garlic. Quartered tomatoes, onions, bell peppers are all great roasted. 400-425 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
    Cheers, wishing you well. :drinker:
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    This also works well with spinach! Spinach chips baked in the oven YUMM!!!!

Great idea....I am going to try this recipe!