Logging running..where is the 11 or 10.5 min mile??

Options
spatticus
spatticus Posts: 230 Member
I've been logging my running as an 11.5 minute mile, but now after a couple months of training I know im faster. So I went to log it as 11 minute mile but its not there...jumps straight from 11.5 to 10 with nothing in between. So I looked it up on THREE other sites (livestrong and caloriecount) and its the same...please tell me there's an explanation. Is there just not that much difference? How fast is a slow jog anyway??

Replies

• LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    LOL -- I've been wondering that exact same thing for the past few months!

there's 10, 11.5, and 12 -- now, 10 is 6mph, and 12 is 5mph... so where's 5.5mph (i.e., 11 minute miles)?!?!?!? :huh:
  • travishein
    travishein Posts: 78
    Options
    i know. me too.
    I just created a my exercises one. Helpful since I also now track distances in KM, just to be different I guess.
    But one thing I noticed when you create your own exercises, it seems to some how learn the ratio of calories vs time as formula of your weight. because i enter "running 7 min/km" and so much time, then it give me calories (i originally input what the treadmill said, or the runkeeper app, etc).. so later on when i run different times or lose weight it seems to get the right calories for me then too.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You can just add it in as a new exercise. After you do the search for "whatever", at the bottom you'll see:
    "Can't find what you're looking for? Add an exercise to the database"
    Just click there and you can create a new exercise, and enter your own time and calories burned.
  • spatticus
    Options
    I have no idea what the calories burned are though...thats why I need it in the database lol
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    I have no idea what the calories burned are though...thats why I need it in the database lol

Ah, right. If you can get yourself an HRM with chest strap, that would be ideal. Otherwise, you could use something like this for now: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php (click on Running Calculator).
  • spatticus
    Options
    Ya I already looked at caloriesperhour but they don't have a 5.5 mph either just jumps from 5.2 to 6 like this site does. I'm not too worried about the few extra calories but I just wanted to know if there was a reason
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You can just add it in as a new exercise. After you do the search for "whatever", at the bottom you'll see:
    "Can't find what you're looking for? Add an exercise to the database"
    Just click there and you can create a new exercise, and enter your own time and calories burned.

ahh... there's the rub!

Calories are calories, when you're talking about a certain volume or weight of food...

but when you're talking about exercise, the number of calories burned is a function of your weight! So, would the correct formula apply if I enter the calories burned for an 11 minute mile now (@ 190 lbs) and still be correct in another couple of months (@ 180 lbs)? :wink:
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Ya I already looked at caloriesperhour but they don't have a 5.5 mph either just jumps from 5.2 to 6 like this site does. I'm not too worried about the few extra calories but I just wanted to know if there was a reason

If you go specifically to the Running Calculator (not the activtity calculator). you can enter you own time and distance
    ahh... there's the rub!

Calories are calories, when you're talking about a certain volume or weight of food...

but when you're talking about exercise, the number of calories burned is a function of your weight! So, would the correct formula apply if I enter the calories burned for an 11 minute mile now (@ 190 lbs) and still be correct in another couple of months (@ 180 lbs)?

You are quite right. It will be a different burn when you weigh differently. So a decent calculator will also take weight into account. But those calculators don't take fitness level into account. That's why an HRM would be the best option.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest getting an HRM with a chest strap. 5.5 mph is sorta my "default" running speed when I do the treadmill (what I either settle back into when I'm taking it easier or what I use an average when I'm doing speed intervals between walking and running since it falls right in the middle of that range). So I just got my burn off of my HRM and entered it in my exercises.

But the reason it's good to have an HRM is that even on a steady state run at 5.5mph multiple days in a row, I can end up with different burns each time, so I always use my actual HRM readout anyway, not just what the entry populates. I only use what the entry populates to enter the exercise earlier in the day so I know what calories to plan out for the day/evening. (I work out after work so I need to make sure I don't end up with a bunch of leftover calories at the end of the day)
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options

I gor a heart rate monitor so you can accurately log the calories burned per your session!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    The c25k App does it too, and also Nike+ (but you do need an iPhone and a sensor for the latter).
  • Debjordan22
    Options
    My question is related... Is there any way to enter the miles run instead of the time?
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I log my runs with runkeeper, and since I have my weight in there, it gives me an estimate of calories burned. That is what I am using now to log.
    But I know its not accurate, which is why I am looking at hr monitors for me and my husband.