Free veggies?

Options
Does anyone count non starchy veggies as free? Especially lettuces and crudites like celery or broccoli.

Replies

• Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I count all my calories. Veggies or not. :)
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I count all my calories. Veggies or not. :)

Me too!
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I consider them free calories, but I still log them anyway. I mean I am not going to penalize myself for eating vegetables. If I go over 5 cals because I ate too many carrots I am not going to beat myself up about it.

:smile:
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories no matter where they come from and they all count. I log them :)
  • theresaaugello
    Options
    Ditto...I log every last morsel of food.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers considers non-starchy veggies to be a free item, and they don't have to be counted. What a load! Yes, non-starchy veggies are very low in cals. But it's recommended that adults eat a minimum of 5-6 servings per day of veggies. At 50-75 cals per serving, that's 450 calories PER DAY that you haven't kept track of (or in my case, even more -- I'm a veggie fanatic). It's CALORIES going in... you have to track them.

This is probably the reason my mother keeps going on WW for the past THIRTY-FIVE YEARS!!! Stupid logic.
  • SakanaUshi
    SakanaUshi Posts: 27
    Options
    Yes, but WW has you on a much bigger deficit if you don't eat some veggies to make up for it. It's their twisted way to get you to eat veggies? Also fiber. And fat is evil. Does that about sum it up?
  • arabellastrange
    Options
    They are worth logging to keep an eye on your nutritional intake. I log everything :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I count everything except water, tea, and coffee [which is as black as my soulless heart].
  • Adrianamdelacruz
    Options
    I count every single morsel that I put in my mouth but I definitely do not penalize myself for it:)
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I log them mostly to keep track of nutrients like vitamins.
  • adrianneyk
    adrianneyk Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I guess tracking it is! It makes perfect sense when you thing of each serving of veggies has 50 or more calories which adds up to about 400 a day!
  • Jtaime
    Jtaime Posts: 12
    Options
    veggies are a gate way drug...when u stop logging one thing then u start making exceptions everywhere
  • jcl1981
    jcl1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i log them, to make it easy i try to get portion controlled bags. I like bagged and washed broccoli that can be steam in the bag, it has four servings but that is 100 calories, i count it but it fills me up to the brim, i especially count potatoes as they hide so many calories, dont go by the label, go by the weight of it, for a year i was eating potatoes and think they were 100 calories each, yeah i know, come to find out i had been eating huge 300 calorie potatoes everyday and counting them as 100 calories. If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is!