Does it count

Options
Ezwoldo
Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
Here's the thing I have been cycling to work for years now and my weight has yo yo'd in that time from 180lb at my leanist to 240lb at peak , My parner seems to think that as I do it each day then I should not include it in my exercise for each day as my body is used to it now and will not burn as much. I how ever do not believe this as some days it's pretty tough going and I feel as though I have burn't enough to earn my breakfast.

what do you think ??

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I dont have an answer, but interested to see the responses
  • youngr6
    youngr6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im no expert but I would have thought it counts. One way to tell for sure is to wear a heart rate monitor and give it your age, weight, start and end times and it will calculate your calories for you based on your pulse during the ride. I use a garmin fr60, mainly for jogging but I was interested to measure ca,ories burned during squash and other sports. Results are very different from mfp (mfp usually seems to give about double what the garmin tells me) but it seems pretty accurate, and the graphs it plots are really interesting, especially for squash where you can see the breaks during games etc.

Heres an example for you

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/83695183

Regards
    R
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think it ultimately depends on how you feel and if it works. If you don't count your cycling and feel hungry and deprived all day, you may need to count it and eat those calories back. Then wait it out and see if you lose. If you don't lose and also feel comfortable eating a little less, then you can ignore those calories.

Another idea: if you have your lifestyle set on "sedentary," you should count it. If it's set on active, then maybe not.

Or count the days when you feel you're burning more, and it wears you out.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Depends... How did you set your 'lifestyle' when you set up you MFP account? If as sedentary, MFP will give you less calories than if you set it higher. If sedentary, figure out your burn and include it.