scale going up, not down!

Options
My name is Sharon and I am a dieter... LOL

I've been on myfitnesspal for about 6months (I think) and I've lost a few pounds but recently gained some back due to muscle development. I started rock climbing a few months back which is REALLY helped tone (and shrink) well everything. It feels really good but it is frustrating to not see the actual scale number go down but instead go up since knowing what my "goal" number now seems impossible to get to. The only reason I really know my body is changing is from comments I get from others saying so. My clothes do fit a bit better...

Anyhow thats my current "situation"

Nice to meet you all :)

Replies

• awwtum
    awwtum Posts: 3
    Options
    sometimes its not about what the scale says, its about how you feel, look, how clothes fit, etc.
    keep it up!
  • Lazer3
    Lazer3 Posts: 3
    Options
    It's not a bad situation!! :)
    Muscle weighs more than fat. If you haven't heard that yet....well, it's true. If you're doing strength exercises i.e. weight lifting, lunges, and.....rock climbing...you will get muscle mass. Your clothes will fit better, because in gaining muscle mass, you lose fat aka inches!!! This is a great thing, and nothing to get discouraged about. Originally when you signed up with mfp, it asked you what your goals were....maybe if you rethink and modify those goals to match getting stronger...and not just shrink the number on the scale, you'll find that the cardio/strength activities that you are doing will coincide with that of your goals.
    Hope I've helped and keep up the good work!!!

~Lace
  • eversits
    eversits Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am on the same boat. I have to lose about 50 pounds. I recently started to watch what I am eating and started kickboxing extensively. The first four weeks, my numbers on the scale did not move at all, it just started going down very slowly (about 4 pounds). After seven weeks, I only lost 4 pounds, but I lost one pants size, and gained muscle mass. My arms shrank and getting toned and I can feel that about my entire body. Don't get discouraged!!!! My kickboxing trainer hates it when I step on the scale. He says that the scale is the worst enemy. And it is true. If I gain a pound, I get discouraged and I shouldn't because I gaining strenght that I never had before. Keep doing what your doing, and just look at the big picture and not the numbers on the scale!!!!
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    even though we all get so happy when the scale goes down, try to remember it's not all about the number: if things are shrinking and toning, and clothes are fitting better, etc., you are doing great.
  • naturechyld
    naturechyld Posts: 35
    Options
    I have put on a couple of lbs but my measurements are getting smaller. In sooo happy I even bothered to take my measurements because when the scale started to go up, I got REALLY discouraged. You are doing great so keep it up!
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    on the check in section of MFP it has an area for measurements -start measuring yourself instead of weighing as it's much more accurate
  • sumnersharon
    sumnersharon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there..

I feel like I am in the same boat. I am watching what I eat and have started running plus Zumba and Jazzercise. My BMI is classed as overweight and the scales are going up... Yeah I have a bit of a sweet tooth but I am working out lots. My confusion is how can I work out what my resting heart beat is as I am not sure if the MFP 1400 cals for the day is accurate, I am getting quite depressed as want to loose pounds on the scales :-(