New running friends and weird workout situations

Options
Sonofabiscuit2
Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
So as I mentioned before I live in rural west Texas, so I run near the cotton fields and its not uncommon to hear roosters, or see dogs, horses and cows along my run route. This morning however I was joined by 3 pygmy goats who ran alongside me in their pen. It was funny as they ran along with the dog also in their yard, the dog barking and the goats bleating away. On a side note sometimes I have conversations with the animals as I jog along "well hello there mr. horse how's your day? Me? Oh just moving at this slow human pace"

so what kind of weirdness happens on your workouts? Oh and feel free to make fun of my dr doolittle impression.

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    That is funny :laugh: . I curse the flies when I run outside. I live in a town with a HUUUUGE farm operation, so they are everywhere.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    the most exciting workout buddy I have is my cat. She rolls around on the floor while I exercise and she sits on my trampoline when I'm not using it, LOL

Your story is great tho. THAT would make me want to walk/jog every day just to see that!
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So as I mentioned before I live in rural west Texas, so I run near the cotton fields and its not uncommon to hear roosters, or see dogs, horses and cows along my run route. This morning however I was joined by 3 pygmy goats who ran alongside me in their pen. It was funny as they ran along with the dog also in their yard, the dog barking and the goats bleating away. On a side note sometimes I have conversations with the animals as I jog along "well hello there mr. horse how's your day? Me? Oh just moving at this slow human pace"

so what kind of weirdness happens on your workouts? Oh and feel free to make fun of my dr doolittle impression.

Thank you for sharing this! It brought a huge :laugh: to my face! How funny!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    That sounds wonderful!

Where I live is very suburban so there's not much exciting when I run outside. Saw a few squirrels, birds and a bunny this morning, that was about it. Have to contend with traffic as well. Even though most would consider my suburban town a bit crowded, there's lots of older homes that I love looking at as I run by.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have these little red-winged blackbirds that nest alongside a lake I run by. Every spring they mistake me for an egg-napper and dive-bomb me. So I've started running on the opposite side of the road and yelling out to them, 'it's okay, it's okay!!' as I run by. :)

I also have been bitten twice by little yappy dogs. Both times they just bit my shoes, it's like they know not to get skin or something.

I live in rural WI, so my favorite thing about running here is seeing all the wildlife. Foxes, whitetail deer, muskrat, you name it.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    How cute! I would love to run where you live. Sounds beautiful! I just walk in the 'burbs. My thouhgts are usually "hey buddy, slow down! Kids play in this neighborhood!" or "wow, they really need to cut their grass...." or "that house would be so cute if they painted the front door red and the shutters black...." etc.....

Pretty boring. Oh and because I'm in the south I wave at every car that passes me on the road, and they all wave back, sometimes they wave to me before I wave to them. It's just how we roll down here!
  • jmcjamie
    jmcjamie Posts: 82
    Options
    WELL I NAMED THE DUCKS ON MY WALK SAY HELLO TO THE DEAR AND HAD A CONVERSATION WITH A RED FOX !
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    How cute! I would love to run where you live. Sounds beautiful! I just walk in the 'burbs. My thouhgts are usually "hey buddy, slow down! Kids play in this neighborhood!" or "wow, they really need to cut their grass...." or "that house would be so cute if they painted the front door red and the shutters black...." etc.....

Pretty boring. Oh and because I'm in the south I wave at every car that passes me on the road, and they all wave back, sometimes they wave to me before I wave to them. It's just how we roll down here!
    do you nod too? It's one thing I love about Tx is how people smile, wave, nod or just say hello to everyone. unfortunately I'll be moving back to south Tx where it's not rural but has the beautiful beach, so I guess it's not all bad.

Btw thank you all I liked writing this experience and hope you were entertained.
  • rob_spitzer
    rob_spitzer Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I can totally relate to you, I was staioned at Fort Hood, TX and when I spend time at my mother inlaws house out in the country and I would run along the County Roads, there would be all sorts of wildlife running around, I stopped and petted a buffalo once that was on a farm, really funny, the cool things is the animals don't judge you, you just run att he pace your body is telling you you can handle...
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    this made me laugh!! "hello, me horse" LMAO!

well, whenever i put down my mat to do ab work, my dogs ALWAYS comes lays next to me on his back w/ his legs in the air!! i usually ask if hes working on his abs too! :laugh: