Does age make a difference?

Options
So I've just been wondering if it is true that as you get older your "ideal" weight will go up. By ideal I mean the weight your body just seems to maintain. When I started MFP I was loosing 1.5-2 lbs a week about 12 weeks into it I stopped my job changed a little so I changed my goal to 1/2 lb/ week (it was at 1lb/ week) because I was crabby and hungry then I shed another 2-3 lbs. Now it has been 3-4 weeks again and I have lost about 1 lb. The scale just seems like it will not go under 140lb. I have wondered about the idea of this being my "ideal" weight I am fine with the way I am looking except for a couple spots that need to tone a little but figure that will come as I keep working out but I weigh almost 30 lbs more than I did 20 years ago. I know then I didn't work out at all so maybe part of it is I have muscle now instead but I highly doubt it is 30 lbs worth. I was hoping I could get down to 125lb and will keep plugging away but some days I just get frustated I had my youngest child 16 years ago and weighed 154lbs the day he was born so I don't feel 125 is unreasonable because before I got pregnant I was around 115. 140 still does not put me in my healthy weight range either. So just out of curiousity does anyone know or have an article to read about "ideal" weight and age related to it.
Thank in advance. Sorry it got a little long.

Replies

• sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    those statistics come from averaging what we 'are' doing as human beings in our society, perhaps not we 'should' be doing. However, sounds like you have the right idea. You look and feel well, so......

I, and most of my female ancestors, are normally very thin. I am not at this time and probably look better, but feel MUCH worse, so....here I am at MFP. Energy level, general physical ability, those are the factors with which you are already gaging your health. Keep it up. Hopefully, I will be joining you in feeling better and looking the way with which "I" am satisfied. Gook luck!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dawniewest
    dawniewest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and hovering at 140 as well. I know with increased excerscise, especially weights, I can get to mid 130's because I have "visited " that weight range within the past decade, but I had to eat PERFECTLY, CONSTANTLY, and not miss ANY workouts, otherwise I would shoot up like 5 lbs. I know a lot of my problem is sodium. I have that under control on a daily basis, I keep it really low, but If I eat out at all or have a weekend away where I cant cook or pack a lunch from home... DING! Up 3 to 5 lbs instantly. I am beginning to wonder if 140ish is my bodys "happy weight" . I refuse to call it my ideal weight because I feel like low 130's SHOULD be doable. I also was 115 when I got married, and have had NO children , so In my eyes, you are doing great!:flowerforyou: Keep up the good work! I'll look forward to seeing what others have to say.. BUMP
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I believe sadly that we should actually weigh less as we grow older....mainly because you start to lose muscle mass as you hit middle age. However it also becomes harder to lose weight for the very same reason....so you just have to keep on plugging at it and it will go eventually..and there should be no reason why you can't get back to a weight you were in your youth...only don't expect it to be quick or easy.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    your best bet (since you feel you need to tone some areas) is start losing weight until you look exactly how you want to look. you might only be 5-10 lbs lighter, or maybe you'll surprise yourself and hit 20 lbs less and look how you want. trial and error should work for you.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what age you are comparing yourself to. There is a certain amount of difference because, if you have done it correctly, you will gain density in your muscle mass as opposed to a young immature body.

In my case, I will never again weigh the 102 pounds I did as an 18 year old. But, at that time I could barely lift and carry any weight at all. However, I am now, at 61, back to the weight I was in my mid 20's. The addition of 25 or so pounds from my immature weight seems reasonable. But there is no reason to add weight after that age, at least I don't think so anyway.

It is not so much that we are supposed to weigh more as we age, it is just harder to maintain a lower weight. Our metabolism slows, our physical ability declines and our mental focus wanes, unless we give ourselves a kick in the butt and stop making excuses.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it does go up. In August it'll be 2 years since I have been on MFP and this month I am 1 year on maintenance. I had always been up and down, but basically around 132-135 from high school through to when I had my son at 35 (I'm 5'6").... I never weighed myself after he was born but assume I was around 7-10 lbs more than that for a few years until I became sick of struggling and joined MFP.

I was super-surprised last spring when I hit 121, and have since been at a maintaining at a range of 121-124. I originally thought I'd be a stick at 130!

Anyway, my thought is to do the best you can with eating and exercising, make sure you are still enjoying life by making sure you eat things you like in balance with your calorie goals and just see where the scale will take you. I think you would be limiting yourself by just assuming you will only be XX weight because of your age. Take your time, do your best, be patient with weight loss and see how you do!!

Good luck!!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Really good thread about this - yes, age and the changes in the body that come with age, do matter...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/181080-mfp-s-most-common-user-pitfall-to-avoid
    (some good info other than just the OP, so read through...)
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and I think age does make a difference. For one our hormone levels change. However, I'm not resigned to that. I'm willing to bet the biggest change is activity level. We get sedentary jobs or we get stressed and look for answers from the couch.

As far as being heavier with age I'm just not sure.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yes, our bodies change with age and I think that is especially harder on women. Hormones levels are very reduced after menopause, some of us may also be affected by a sluggish thyroid, and physical limitations that comes with age. Shall we also to add pregnancies?

Having said that, I think that the major hurdle is body fat, muscle tone, and/or definition. We can get into a healthy and younger weight but muscle definition and tone will be limited. I am now at my pre-pregnancy weight (I am 67), work out 6 times a week and do extensive weight training; however, I find it very difficult to tone my body, regardless of my choice of workout.

The main thing is not to give up because we are still getting the benefits of a healthy life style. The hard part is to realize that no matter what we do, getting old SUCKS! But the alternative is worse. :ohwell:
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and hovering at 140 as well. I know with increased excerscise, especially weights, I can get to mid 130's because I have "visited " that weight range within the past decade, but I had to eat PERFECTLY, CONSTANTLY, and not miss ANY workouts, otherwise I would shoot up like 5 lbs. I know a lot of my problem is sodium. I have that under control on a daily basis, I keep it really low, but If I eat out at all or have a weekend away where I cant cook or pack a lunch from home... DING! Up 3 to 5 lbs instantly. I am beginning to wonder if 140ish is my bodys "happy weight" . I refuse to call it my ideal weight because I feel like low 130's SHOULD be doable. I also was 115 when I got married, and have had NO children , so In my eyes, you are doing great!:flowerforyou: Keep up the good work! I'll look forward to seeing what others have to say.. BUMP

Thank you for verifying my fear! Ha! Ha! I'm 54 and have the feeling that things are different now than ever before (age relatead). I was never thin, but had visited 135 briefly 15 years ago. Iam aiming for that weight by eating healthfully, limiting salt etc., walking a good hour a day and doing weight training videos 20 - 30 minutes 5 days a week with lighter weights, but it will be a fight to the finish and a never ending battle each and every day. Eating out does a number on me, too and I am sure it is sodium related. I can't choose any kind of soup or sauced anything or up a good pound or two. CHinese food is the worst! I am very slowly losing practically ounce by ounce (157 today) so it is a lifetime battle regardless if I make my goal or not. If I even let up for a day or a week the pounds will be creeping back on. I'm afraid this will be a life sentence here. Maintenence if I ever get there, will be no picnic! Just a couple of more calories perhaps.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    bump