Bellydancing into my new swimsuit

Options
With my "Bad Back" there aren't very many exercises I can safely do, but I can bellydance, in private, of course! I refuse to be one of those old ladies who have the "meno-pouch." I've started practicing belly rolls while sitting, usually I do it while standing. It's a little weird, but whatever gets me moving is okay by me. Cheers!

Replies

• Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    That's so cool! Is there a DVD or something that taught you to do it or how'd you learn to Bellydance? Sounds like a fun way to get in shape to me! Happy it is working out so well for you!!
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been intrigued by this as well! Let us know what DVD's your using or how you're doing it. :)
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    bump
  • NanoReefDiver
    NanoReefDiver Posts: 153
    Options
    I love belly dancing! Such a great way to work the core and get cardio in =D
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I love belly dancing!!! I take from a teacher but I think exercisetv.tv has the belly dance fitness vids as a featured workout this month. Been meaning to try it but no one works me as hard as our Dance Momma. ;D
  • sarina1234
    sarina1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started bellydancing 30 years ago. We'd gather at the community center & our teacher was such a positive woman, we'd laugh our way through learning the steps. There are a lot of DVDs on bellydancing, but I'd suggest a "beginner" level to start. Do each step very slowly, over & over again, util you've really got it forward, backward, sideways... Just experiment in front of the mirror with moving only one part of your body at a time. Example: Stand with feet apart bend knees slightly, pretend you're stuck in cement up to your waist, now shift the top half of your body to the right, then to the left. Be sure to have fun doing it. Good luck.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I love bellydancing! I want to find a class that does performances to give me more of a reason to get my body in shape after this pregnancy (I've also heard that it's great exercise when pregnant ... hmmm, need to start it up again!! )

For everyone who's asked, there are a lot of Belly dance DVDs. Some are great, some stink. Some focus more on the dance aspect (aesthetics) and others more on fitness (more cardio, for example). I've always gotten them at the library or through netflix, that way I can change regularly and if it's one I hate, I'm not out any money!