Interesting article about sizing in women's clothing

Options
basschick
basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
http://www.cleveland.com/style/index.ssf/2010/08/size_14_is_average_american_wo.html

When I was a size 14 I mostly squeezed myself into my old size 12s or hid under clothing that was too big.

Replies

• xNightguestx
    xNightguestx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I used to squeeze into my 12s when i knew I was a 14 but only because I knew Id find the motivation to loose weight and I was right...glad I don't have a wardrobe full of 14s because they would be to big!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I have been all different sizes my life, from an 8 to a 12 all the way down to a 4 now (YAY!). I admit I'm guilty of wearing clothes that are not the correct size for my body. I'm a pack rat (or cheapo has my husband calls it) and I still wear around some of my size 8's. It always seemed to me when I was in the 8-10 range all the pants in those sizes were gone. I'm not sure it was because I was looking for them or it's true that most women are trying to cram ourselves into those sizes close to single digets.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Ok I don't understand that article. I weigh 161 and wear a size 8 (except up top, need extra room for the um...chest area). In fact, my size 8 slacks are getting a little loose. I used to weigh 140 and wore a size 6. When I weighed 125, I wore a 2 or 3. There was a comment to that article
    The average American woman is 5'4", weighs 140 lbs, and wears a size 14 dress
    - wow? I'm 5'5" and weigh 20 pounds more, and wear a size 8 (jeans, slacks, dresses, shorts, swimsuits, etc., by different manufacturers). At my very heaviest, 177 pounds, I wore a size 12. don't get it.
  • skye_logan
    skye_logan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck in this rut for a very long time, actually. I gained weight when I started college, and have been around 170 for about 2 years now (140-150 in high school). For those two years, I've only had 2 pairs of jeans and only worn my basic t-shirts because I tell myself that I have to lose weight to get more clothing. Or, as she says in the article, I tell myself that I'm going to lose weight and never do. I'm hoping to get back on track this summer though!
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    Like some of you have mentioned, those stats seem a little twisted. I'm 5'3 and at 140 I wore a size 8. At 130 I still wear size 8. I know about vanity sizing, but seriously, size 8 is the most consistent size for me at my recent weight range. My mom is 5'4 and her weight is around 190's and a size 14 fits her loosely. My sister is 5'4, around 170's in weight and wears a size 12.
    It just doesn't seem possible to be a size 14 at 140lbs for a 5'4 woman.

But I can totally relate to article. When I gained weight over the holidays and my pants started to give me a slight muffin top, I just wore lose shirts that would cover it because I didn't want to get a bigger size. Precisely, my reason was, why would I get new pants if I'm going to lose this extra weight anyway! Fortunately I am losing it and I'm glad I didn't buy fat pants!
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 157lbs and were a size 12 at Old Navy. The low rise pants.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    "60 percent of the population is considered overweight"<<DAMN!
    i used to wear a 13/15 when i was 160+...now i can wear from 1-5..its all in the hips!