Best Protein Powder

Options
Hi everybody! I'm looking for somebody who knows a bit more about protein powders. I realized, looking at my food diary, that my protein intake is too low - partly because I'm vegetarian. I'm really trying to include protein in every meal but apparently not enough.
My question is now: What do I have to look for in a good protein powder? I'd like to add a bit to my porridge in the morning or have it as shake,etc.. I'm also really trying to stay away from unhealthy, unnatural food and would like the protein powder to be as "natural" as can be. Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot!
Andrea

Replies

• sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    my daughter uses muscle milk she is a weightlifter and is drug tested almost every month she loves it and I guess for the liquid she uses coconut milk
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I like to get unflavored whey protein powder. Regular grocery stores don't usually carry it, but most natural/vitamin stores do. It doesn't add much flavor so you can barely tell its there.

I also like to get eas whey vanilla protein to add to smoothies. It has minimal sugars and carbs but it makes my smoothies taste like milkshakes :smile:
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Umm, I'm asking cause all the different types of vegetarians confuse me, but Whey Protein Isolate and Milk Protein Isolate both come from milk. Those are the 2 most common ingredient of protein powders. Is that OK for you to eat? If not they do make a soy based powder. It's not as complete a protein and you might have to look into making up the amino acids soy beans lack with another protein source in your diet.

As far as chemically unprocessed most WPI and MPI is produced by filtering and drying rather than chemicals. They take the whey left over from making cheese, filter it, filter it through an Ion exchanger (kinda like a water softener), and than dry it out. Except for the pasteurization process the milk goes through it's pretty natural.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    i dont know but bump for later
  • Fruchtzwerg
    Fruchtzwerg Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Umm, I'm asking cause all the different types of vegetarians confuse me, but Whey Protein Isolate and Milk Protein Isolate both come from milk. Those are the 2 most common ingredient of protein powders. Is that OK for you to eat? If not they do make a soy based powder. It's not as complete a protein and you might have to look into making up the amino acids soy beans lack with another protein source in your diet.

I'm vegetarian that means that I'm just not eating meat. I can still have milk products, eggs etc.. But thanks for checking. I think, especially as a woman I shouldn't have too many soy products as they may disrupt hormone balance etc. Anyway has anybody ever used hemp protein? That sounds quite "natural"... :wink:
  • lindsay6694
    lindsay6694 Posts: 182
    Options
    i use jillian michaels vanilla whey protein powder after my workout. i love the taste of it in my berries/greek yogurt smoothies. its 100 calories but only 15grams of protein. i dont know too much about protein powders though.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The muscle milk "strawberries and cream" powder is good and so is the myoplex. They would be fantastic in porriage! Banana might be even better. As far as "natural" goes. It is made from milk. Try befriending my friend "audreyj" . She is vegan, organic, and all natural and uses a lot of protein powders. She is from Canada, but I have been able to find some of the items online.

Good Luck!
    (If I misspelled, "audreyj", look at my posts, she comments under them quite a bit. She is also very motivating!"
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    sorry its, "audjrey"
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i've been using hemp protein & whey protein... .

either one is good and both are reasonable in calories. of course, unflavored.

edit: and audjrey is the one who got me looking at hemp in the first place. it's delicious.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

As far as chemically unprocessed most WPI and MPI is produced by filtering and drying rather than chemicals. They take the whey left over from making cheese, filter it, filter it through an Ion exchanger (kinda like a water softener), and than dry it out. Except for the pasteurization process the milk goes through it's pretty natural.

when you look at the ingredients, and if there is soy involved (especially soy, but also other things) make sure it's organic. soy is one of the most industrialized crops in the states and may be very good for you on one level, but very bad for you on another.

just word up.
  • mfarmt10
    mfarmt10 Posts: 21
    Options
    I was recommended gaspri myofusion as it had a slow release so it supposed to keep u full for longer not sure cos that's the only
    One I have ever tried other than herbal life stuff

I know a lot of ppl use this because of the taste
  • kindredmama
    Options
    I've been happy with brown rice proteins. Whey all the time makes me bloat and feel yucky. Sunwarrior and Young Living have tasty brown rice protein powders.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

I'm vegetarian that means that I'm just not eating meat. I can still have milk products, eggs etc.. But thanks for checking. I think, especially as a woman I shouldn't have too many soy products as they may disrupt hormone balance etc. Anyway has anybody ever used hemp protein? That sounds quite "natural"... :wink:
    I use jarrows brown rice protein, non gmo and no soy!!
    Ff organic milk, cinnamin, and ice makes it taste great!!