Is protein good for you?

mrchantele123
mrchantele123 Posts: 51
edited 2:06AM in Health and Weight Loss
I always was told that protein was good for you, for the first time ever I have gone over my protein limit by 14. Is this bad? What does eating too much protein do and will it effect my weigh-in tomorrow?

Many thanks.

Replies

• Bordenave
    Bordenave Posts: 13
    That is a great question. Now that I think about it, I wonder too. I hope that someone has an anser.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Going over your protein a little isn't bad. It might affect your weigh-in tomorrow positively by releasing some water retention. Protein also speeds up your metabolism so you consume your carbohydrates faster. Keeping your macronutrients as balanced as possible is ideal, so going over on your protein by only 56 calories is not a problem.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    I eat a LOT of protein and my weight is falling off of me. The past week or so I've been averaging 120g of protein a day.
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    The protein level set by MFP is very conservative. You can probably double it and that would be a better goal. And if you do eat too much you'll just convert it to fat stores (just like you would with any other excess calories).
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    I think they set the protein here on the low side anyway. I usually look at it as the minimum amount I need every day I usually eat 100 - 150grams of protein daily and I am losing consistently :)
This discussion has been closed.