Finding Morning Motivation...workout before work??

Options
How do you do it?? I keep telling myself im going to get up and extra 45 min early which would be 5 in the a.m.... but end up getting up only 15 min early.. and that time is spend trying to wake up out of my zombie like state.. lol

I know... im sure ... if I went to bed a bit earlier.. I could get up earlier.. but some nights that is difficult as I have a 2 year old.. and she is having issues sleeping in her own bed all of a sudden...

anyways... what's your trick.. to finding motivation that is??

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I DON'T!! I never opt for early morning workouts. I'd rather do late night (9pm or 10pm) workouts than 5am workouts. It's not for me, that's for sure.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I have to get up early as well and I have a 2 yr old too lol
    For me getting bed time with my daughter on a schedule has not only helped me with getting to bed at a decent time but has helped things run smoother and I am not as stressed. My hubby works till 10pm so bed time is up to me!!
    I usually try to wake up around 6-7ish to go workout and for real the first month or so sucked and sometimes I dont make it but the mornings that I do I feel so much better like I am ready for the day!
    You just have to suck it up a little, and push yourself. You may be a zombie for a bit but it wont last long!! Good luck
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Because of that exact reason, I work out at night. If time isn't a factor, such as weekends and off weeks from work, then I'll wake up naturally and do a morning routine, should I choose to do so. Other than that, it's night time.
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what works for you. My hubby can work out anytime of day... even 9 or 10pm. I could NEVER work out that late, I just don't have it in me. Honestly, I prefer to be in bed between 8-9! I like getting up at 5am to work out (usually twice a week or so) as it's nice and quiet in the house... I have 3 kids and one is a baby who still wakes 1-2 times a night so I understand your fatigue. :yawn:

It feels good to get the work out in early and be done with it! And it helps to wake my butt up before the morning insanity begins(y'know the trying to get two girls dressed, fed and school stuff in order before the bus). Next time you have the clock set for 5, instead of hitting snooze, make yourself sit up. Once you are upright, and off the bed, it's easier to go. And it's so nice to be done with the workout early... just starts your day off right :smile: Good luck!
  • Carek99
    Carek99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I decided that I liked the feeling I have when I have worked out today, even though I hate the workout. If i get up early, I get to have that feeling all day. I also get to enjoy the evening without worrying about the workout, or finding an excuse.
  • maricarmenreyes
    maricarmenreyes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It has been a challenge for me too, I also have a two years old who I struggle with at nights, I´m taking it with patience, I do at least 15 minutes of elliptical training, that way I don´t feel that bad during the day. I know I should increase (and I will) that training time but this is just my first week, lets see how ir works,
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't have a child, but I have to do extra work when I get home from work most nights, plus cook dinner and clean/prepare for the next day's work, and I don't get home until just after 6 pm, so it's more practical for me to get up early and work out. I have an alarm in my phone, called "Get up, lazy Bee!" and I also set my HRM watch's alarm for a few minutes after my main alarm goes off. I know that I have to do this if I want to maintain and keep my muscle definition, so I just get up and work out. No one can motivate you, except you, so just keep reminding yourself of why you want this, and if mornings are just not possible for you, find time at night, or whenever you can. I do a lot of workouts from www.bodyrock.tv so that I don't have to get up at 5 EVERY day. These workouts are usually pretty short and I think everyone can find twelve minutes in their day to do something.
  • thevirtualrunner
    thevirtualrunner Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I get up at 5:20am every day and I go to the gym for when it opens at 6am. I've done it so long now that I wake up before my alarm clock most of the time. I like exercising in the morning because it makes me feel great during the day. I don't like exercising in the evening because then I just want to relax.
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm like you. I take at least 30 minutes to wake up. It's hard! So I have to set my alarm 30 minutes earlier (4:30am ::grumble: ) just to get up in time to start a workout by about 5:45. I do find that when I'm consistent with it for a couple of weeks, it gets a tiny bit easier. And as others have mentioned, it feels so nice to be DONE with the workout and enjoy the rest of the day without that "I've gotta work out!" guilt. Plus, I feel pretty bada$$ going to work and knowing I've already run 4 miles or done my 30DS video before most of them had their coffee! :wink:

I would suggest having a schedule/plan- what days work best for working out? MWF? Plan for those mornings. Maybe get things ready for the morning the night before? (Workout clothes, lunches, etc..) For me, it's all about planning ahead.

Just set some short term goals and shoot for those! You can do it! :smile:
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have an alarm in my phone, called "Get up, lazy Bee!"

Ooh! Can you tell me about this? I love this idea! Is it for iPhone? Did you create it yourself or buy it somewhere?
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am and I don't work until 9:30am but I have 3 kids one being a 4 month old baby and since I never know when she will wake up I get up this early to make sure I have time to work out.

I COULD do it at night but I hate working out at night. I have to say once you do it for a few days it's MUCH easier but you have to WANT to do it.
  • shazzabir
    shazzabir Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off 04:45, but I stay in bed until 05:00. The first thing I do is to go for a shower to wake up. This does mean having two showers before I go to work, but I find I have a better workout doing it. I have to get up early so I can exercise and get myself ready before my two year old daughter wakes up around 06.30. Exercising in a morning motivates me to eat properly during the day and makes me feel good that I have made the effort.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work graveyard shift. 11:30pm - 7:30am. on my gym workout days I just bring my workout clothes to work with me, after work I head straight to the gym, change and get it done. I also work weekends and it's not very busy @ my job during the weekend so I am lucky to have down time and I go out and walk/jog for an hour @ 2-3 am. my friends think I am nuts. whateva..... haters I say lol.

as for those that have kids, I don't nor have a gf/wife/ball and chain so no worries there for me ^_^
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I really struggled with this to start with, but now I have signed up for a boot camp! I think doing exercise with others makes you feel accountable, and makes you get up! The lady that runs the boot camp sends us motivational txts in the morning, which does help. I couldn't make myself go to bed earlier, but a few days of getting up early and exercising, and you 'want' to go to bed early.

I recommend getting a buddy to exercise early with.