Is napping okay?

Options
If I am eating well and exercising a fair amount -- is okay to take a nap? Or is it better to keep your body up and alert during the whole course of the day? Does taking a nap interfere with calorie burning?

Replies

• sweetie89207
    sweetie89207 Posts: 361
    Options
    i surely hope not! cuz i nap more than anyone i know!
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    If you are tired, it is better to take a short nap (20-20 minutes) than to try and stay awake.
  • tiffaneydwyer
    Options
    If you're eating properly (IE, foods that burn fat and build lean muscle AT REST...) than its totally fine to rest. Our bodies NEED proper rest time and sleep/recovery to work efficiently. There's nothing wrong with taking a nap.....
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I feel like anytime I am sleeping, I cannot be eating, which is surely a good thing.
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    20 min. is perfectly fine...
  • natl27
    natl27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel like anytime I am sleeping, I cannot be eating, which is surely a good thing.

I like the logic here!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    a good nap is one of life's little pleasures :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, it's best to get enough sleep at night. If you feel like your tired enough for a nap every day you should probably take a look at your night time habits. Your body does best on 7-9 straight hours of sleep at night. But if you're pregnant and have sleeping problems or have a baby/toddler who wakes up at night (like I do) you have to get your sleep when and where you can.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love my naps. They're longer than 20 minutes because I am one of those people who takes an hour to fall asleep, but they keep my refreshed throughout the day.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Napping for a short time in the day (30 minutes or so) is perfectly fine. In fact, it's the norm in many cultures, and has never been associated with being overweight (although sleep deprivation has been associated with weight gain!)
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • hannahsmommy06
    Options
    i like naps every now and then :)
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I recently read that a short nap (less than one hour) before 3 PM can give you energy without disrupting your nightly sleep.
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I would TOTALLY change places with the kindergartners now!!
    Girl, you go GIT that nap!
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Napping is good for you and studies have shown that people who are getting the right amount of sleep have an easier time losing weight! Poor sleep can lead to weight gain....so nap away!