Fibromyalgia and Exercise

Losingitin2011
Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello!

I have fibromyalgia, but I do enjoy exercise. I am just curious if I should ease myself into going every day or just go every day and hope I don't have a flare up. I tried to do 2 days in a row, an hour each day and almost passed out after 30 minutes the second day. So frustrating to not be able to do what I want sometimes.

Replies

• sandralina
    sandralina Posts: 126 Member
    I've found that when I just can't do it, I let it go. Pushing myself just makes everything worse.

Do you have any medication management for flare-ups?
  • Losingitin2011
    No, I was on narcotics for a number of months after a car accident and my doctor doesn't want me on them if we can avoid it. I usually just get tylenol and an anti-inflammatory, aka candy. I finally got off the Gabapentin I was taking because it was causing excessive weight gain.
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    i have learned when to push and when to rest .. i would say listen and be governed by your body
    the one thing that i dont rest up from is swimming i can still do that however i am feeling
  • mosaix
    mosaix Posts: 87 Member
    I do what I can when I can to be honest, if you can manage 2 or 3 days in a row, go nuts, but I wouldn't push it personally.
  • Losingitin2011
    Honestly, if I did that I'd make it to the gym maybe once or twice a week. I have to push through the pain and remember why I'm doing it. Exercise helps fibro, but it's hard to exercise when you're constantly in pain. It's so hard to tell the difference between flare up pain and exercise pain :-S
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Whether it's daily walks, stretching, swimming, yoga, tai chi, or Pilates, low-impact exercise programs can keep you fit in spite of your fibromyalgia and may help reduce pain as well.I'd say start with 10 minutes or 15 the first week and add on 5 minutes per week till you get to 45 or so... I dont have fibromyalgia myself but I have limited mobility with my left ankle atm. So chin up do what you can & you will show progress...
  • sandralina
    sandralina Posts: 126 Member
    With fibro, you just have to allow yourself to rest. On the good days, take advantage and be motivated. Do as much or more than you can and don't be afraid to do it. Like my doctor always tells me; the point is to have better good days than bad. The bad will always be there; it's what we do with the good days we are gifted with.
  • Rachael810
    Rachael810 Posts: 3
    I have a certificate as a Fibromyalgia worker with my massage practice. Here is an excellent site for you to see. http://www.fmaware.org you will get good info. One of the top recommended things for Fibro is good sleep hygiene. Next comes movement even when you don't want to..move., then diet. For me when I have a flare up, tends to be what I ate. Good to keep your ph balance in check and track what may be causing your flare ups. You may know what brought it on but, need to know the triggers.
  • Losingitin2011
    My biggest trigger was high fructose corn syrup. When I consume it I feel terrible, and usually have a flare going by the end of the day. I have cut it completely out, and my flare ups have gone way down. I've also drastically increased my protein intake which helps overall. I still struggle with the sleep because I often don't ever go into REM sleep, regardless of whether or not I take sleep aids.
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    personally I'd go with short but frequent and then gradually see if you can build it up from there, I wouldn't push yourself to the extreme though
  • Losingitin2011
    I think that's what I am going to do. I am going to make sure I go at least 3 times a week, and if I want to go more than that, I will. I am not going to force myself into going every day and making myself miserable. I think if I do that I'll just burn myself out and not want to go at all.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    slow and easy.
    My mom has fibromyalgia. Some days are good, some days not so much.
    Do what you can do, you know yourself, your body the best.
    take care.
    Keep up the good work!
This discussion has been closed.