Is there any truth to this?

Options
My dad is convinced that his weight loss has to do with the phases of the moon. When the moon is full, we are more affected by the pull of the moon and we therefore lighter. When the moon is new we are less affected by it's gravity and therefore weigh more. Has anyone heard of this!?

Replies

• music_lover_103
    Options
    the moon's gravity is small compared to earth's gravity. that's why its rotating around us and we're not rotating around it. that weight loss-moon gravity idea doesnt make sense.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Bahahahaha. In astronomical measures, the location of the moon (not its phases) affects gravity on Earth. But the amount of effect the moon has on our weight is so small, you would not be able to measure it by a simple scale. Your dad is funny.
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    the distance between the earth and moon is relatively static. The phases of the moon is the amount of sunlight reflecting off of it. Gravity from the moon doesn't change. The moon's gravity as it circles the earth does pull on everything, which is why we have tides in the ocean.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    hmmm doubtful
  • keynesian
    keynesian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do actually believe we're affected by the phases of the moon in terms of all sorts of things including mood and water retention. Biodynamic gardening and farming strictly follow the moon phases in terms of sowing and harvesting differing types of plant.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Sounds like your Dad is testing your gullibility! My older brother used to do that to me. I am doubtful that any of that makes sense. HOWEVER, I am very gullible myself!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    the distance between the earth and moon is relatively static. The phases of the moon is the amount of sunlight reflecting off of it. Gravity from the moon doesn't change. The moon's gravity as it circles the earth does pull on everything, which is why we have tides in the ocean.

^^ Pretty much this.

The phases of the moon are caused by the location of the moon in its orbit around the earth, that's true, but it isn't any closer during a full moon or new moon phase. During a "new moon," the moon is in between the sun and the earth. During a "full moon," the moon is on the opposite side of the earth from the sun (incidentally, we can only have a solar eclipse when the moon is in the "new" phase). This diagram is actually super helpful in understanding the lunar phases (http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_phases.phtml)

So the phases don't really have much to do with the weight of us here on earth. :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    No, there is no truth in it but it is understandable why he thinks that.

Read here:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=lunacy-and-the-full-moon