Switching to Heart Rate Monitor vs. Database

Just wondering how many people switched from using the database to their HRM #'s for their workouts?

I just got my HRM fixed and the calories I"m burning are even lower than I thought, so I'm going to adjust my calorie consumption and see if that makes the pounds come off any easier. I was eating back about 200-400 of my 600-700 calories, but now I'm not so sure.....

What did others notice and do?

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    My HRM gives me a higher count than mfp
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    I use my hrm numbers, and they are lower than mfp numbers by about 25%. I have increased the workout time so that I'm burning what mfp said I was burning before I had the hrm. I find it more difficult to cut the intake cals. Good luck!
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    I use my HRM. On my home workouts my HRM gave higher amounts than what the wii fit told me, but it's always less than what the database says.

Today at the gym my HRM said 100 calories lower than what the gym equipment said. I truly think the HRM is much better and most estimates are always too high.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Bump for later
  • cowpoke06
    cowpoke06 Posts: 171
    heart rate monitor says I burn less...but mine doesn't have a chest strap so I don't know how accurate it is. I'd rather have an underestimate than an overestimate.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    I am thinking about switching to a HRM because I don't seem to be able to figure out whether I'm in my target range for burning calories from the monitor on my treadmill. I saw a nice on on QVC or HSN by Tony Little that looks pretty good. I have on at home that straps across my chest but I didn't like how that feels while I'm working out. Good Luck
  • floydg68
    floydg68 Posts: 28
    I have a Polar FT60 but still use both. The numbers differ depending on the type of workout so I usually use the lower number just to be conservative. For instance; today I rode for 153 minutes my HRM said 2910 but the database said 2659. The value of the HRM is it measures intensity more closely, IMHO.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Hi
    My (with strap) counts way less calories than the database. interestingly tho I lost loads of weight eating back mfp's high calorie allocation ..... Am struggling more since I cut back my eating ??? It makes not a lot of sense!
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Wow, I hike for 2 hrs or 120 min (about 25 of that is more like walking) and only burn 480 calories.....my metabolism is soooo slow....database had me burning 700-900 cal, so way off!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    I use the HRM for several reasons; 1. I want an accurate calorie count to track my weight loss by, 2. You burn fat at 40-60% of your max heart rate and at one point that was very important, 3. I do a lot of high intensity cardio training which requires approximately 80% max heart rate.

With my HRM I can track all of these items in one place.
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Hi
    My (with strap) counts way less calories than the database. interestingly tho I lost loads of weight eating back mfp's high calorie allocation ..... Am struggling more since I cut back my eating ??? It makes not a lot of sense!

Maybe your body needs those extra calories to work effectively! You should take a look at the difference in your deficits. Sometimes eating more of the "right" foods can help you lose more!