Tofu Shirataki Noodles? 20 cal/serving?

Options
BeckyKSmith
BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
Has anyone tried the Tofu Shirataki Noodles that are 20 cal for a 4oz serving? Feedback please

Replies

• ☆ShawnsMom08☆
    ☆ShawnsMom08☆ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I tried them thinking they were some miracle noodle. I love pasta and noodles. I found them at Meijer and I thought they didn't taste very good. It was like a rubbery noodle. I didn't buy them again. That is just my opinion.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    One word: Gross.

Actually, a few more words: Disgusting, slimy, choke-hazardous (is that a word?), fishy, vomit-inducing, revolting. nasty, foul, detestable, vile.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Funkyspunky- tell us what you really think. Ha!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Funkyspunky- tell us what you really think. Ha!

I'll just go with gross then.
  • BeckyKSmith
    Options
    Well then.....guess I won't buy them....lol
    The hungry girl cookbook mentions them alot.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I get them only in the angel hair style, the other kinds are too thick to get past the texture. The key is to rinse them under warm water, microwave them for one minute, drain them again and squeeze 'em tightly in a paper towel to get as much moisture out as possible. Then use clean kitchen shears to snip them into smaller pieces.

I've also found that adding to the pan I'm cooking the rest of the ingredients in early in that cooking process helps to dry them out even further. I love 'em and so does the hubby. I cook 'em up with various veggies (carrots, broccoli, snow peas, red pepper, etc) and then some sort of protein (diced chicken breast, shrimp, etc) and cook it all over high heat with some siracha, and whatever other seasonings you want to add (we like spice so I go with chili powder, red pepper flake, cayenne and then a hit of onion powder and/or garlic powder if I haven't already used those ingredients fresh in the mix). I'll often finish it with one well mixed up egg or 1/4 cup all natural egg whites and scramble that into. So delicious and tasty.

I pretty much always keep a few bags on hand cuz they're great to have on hand since it's basically a one pan meal thats totally filling. I also use 'em for lunches to take to work.
  • milleykin
    milleykin Posts: 3
    Options
    I actually tried them the other day. I was a little put off by the unusual smell because I wasn't expecting it but after a good rinsing and a minute in the microwave there was no odor. The texture is a bit like ramen noodles. I added a weight watcher sesame dressing that is awesome with just about anything. I bet some stir fry vegetables, low sodium soy sauce and some chicken would make an excellent meal.

I like them and even if I wasn't watching my calories I would eat them :) Oh and there are two different types---a dry version and wet version. I tried the wet version. They are also pretty cheap :)
  • jed1986
    jed1986 Posts: 6
    Options
    I just tried them a couple days ago, and as i was advised by a friend, boiled them extra long so they wouldn't be as chewy. i ate them with organic tomato sauce with garlic and half a whole wheat pita. They were definately edible, and i would have them again. Although i will say they are no substitution for real pasta as they claim to be!! :)
  • Amie_46
    Amie_46 Posts: 60
    Options
    I like them :) For 20 calories you can't go wrong.

Just make sure you have a good sauce to cover the smell.

Drain the water and microwave, add your sauce (I used Veggie Ground Round, Catelli Tomato & Herbs and Fresh Sauteed Peppers and Onions), top with Parmesan Cheese, Delish.
  • BeckyKSmith
    Options
    I JUST made them. I thought the smell was similar to opening a bag of raw shrimp before cooking them. I love shrimp so it is not an issue. Yes, def rinse well and boil them a few minutes and then drain well and dry. I thought they were good. Not the exact same noodle texture, but definately good for 20 calories. The whole bag is 40 and I think I could easily eat that.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    One word: Gross.

Actually, a few more words: Disgusting, slimy, choke-hazardous (is that a word?), fishy, vomit-inducing, revolting. nasty, foul, detestable, vile.

ditto. I will just have smaller portions of ACTUAL pasta, TYVM
  • betterthanmama
    betterthanmama Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Love them. I love shirataki ( noodles made out of a root that is 0 cal) and this kind of gives it a softer texture. they are NOT meant to taste like pasta, because they aren't pasta - no wheat involved. Make sure you rinse them off and boil them (in a microwave or on the stove) first. You can also cook them in the sauce so they absorb the flavor. My favorite is adding some mentsuyu (Japanese noodle sauce) and microwave, then add some wasabi or ginger for a nice kick. I also have them cold during the summer.

They are not meant to replace pasta! that's like having tofu replace chicken. It's just not right.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i love them!!!
    i eat them all the time.
    i like them best with light alfredo sauce w/ sauted spinach and mushrooms mixed in.

ah-may-zing.
  • letsgetit
    letsgetit Posts: 33
    Options
    I love them! They do have a slippery texture and I find its better for thinner sauces or has a tendency to make your sauce seem thinner but they work for me! They do smell weird fresh out the pack but rinsing them and then cooking them alleviates all of that.
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am eating them right now for dinner...they ARE interesting to chew...kind of bouncy. 2 servings of noodles, 1/2 cup of Bertolli Arrabiata sauce, a splash of olive oil, and a splurgy 1.4 oz of fresh grated parmiggiano reggiano...200 calories!!! A winner for sure!
  • praiseb
    praiseb Posts: 4
    Options
    Yeah!
    Honestly, if you cook them right, use a nice sauce, maybe some cheese, they are, for very few calories fantastic! You can get that fish smell out. Yeah, they are no "real pasta" but they are certainly a good substitute for a nominal amount of calories. I can see why people may say "GROSS" if you're just comparing to the high cal high carb regular pasta...but really, wash n drain, microwave, and slather those bad boys with sauce, cheese, and sauteed mushrooms, at 200 calories, incredible.