Smoking

Options
SarahJaneDeschamp
SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
How many of you have quit smoking since joining MFP or even before ?
I am quitting tomorow but im really worried about weight gain :frown:
I am quitting because of health reasons and i want to be able to exercise for longer without being puffed out before i even start:blushing:

Would love your input

Many Thanks

Sarah :flowerforyou:

Replies

• V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I stopped two and a half years ago, decided it was time and quit cold turkey... Funnily I wanted one every day, 1st thing in the morning, after ever meal and so on. That "need" stopped when I changed my diet and started exercising, I haven't thought about them since the middle of March.

Feel free to add me for support...
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey in Feb 2010. 15 months ago. I wish I had done it sooner.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Ok! I quit 6 years ago and then a trip to Vegas got me and my husband smoking again. We smoked for a year and quit about a month ago. Use the patch or something #1, #2 I found that changing up my eating plan really helped because I was more focused on the food I was depriving myself of then the smokes! Also, that way it ties in exercise and healthy eating with non-smoking instead of eating more etc. That's my advice!
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    I stopped a year and a half ago and quit cold turkey too! I gained 15 pounds in that time from mindless snacking and such but I'm now working to get it off. Focus on one thing at a time, you'll succeed! Plus, once your breathing improves you'll be able to exercise more then before and you'll want to do it because you can breathe :bigsmile:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking actual cigarettes last August. I vape on an e-cig now. I consider it nicotine replacement therapy using an alternative nicotine delivery device. Haven't touched an actual cigarette since.
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I quit January 2008 and I still miss it almost every day. I think it stinks, but I still miss it. I had quit taking the pill a few months before then and I had gained 10 pounds from that and quiting smoking. Then when I got pregnant I gained 60! Yikes.
    Good Luck to you!
    Add me if you like.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I have not quit,ive cut down but not quit
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey about 4 years ago. I really didn't gain any weight. (I was already fat--but I didn't put on more). You will be so happy when you quit! It was so nice to wake up in the morning without having a COUGHING FIT! I am proud of you, and you will be too! :wink:
  • 3aBadkids
    3aBadkids Posts: 78
    Options
    I quit smoking towards the end of July 2010 after I started P90X...cold turkey!!! I thought why continue smoking if I'm trying to be healthy...kinda defeats the purpose of it. I didn't finish P90X, but I didn't go back to smoking. I joined MFP in January and started up P90X again...still smoke free! :happy:
  • lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My husband quit smoking on 2/16/11. The doctor put him on an antidepressant and also some nicotine lozenges. He has done real well, I think. You can do it!!!!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting. Don't worry about weight gain. That is actually a myth. Cigarette smoking actually causes you to gain belly fat as well as a raise in cortisol and cholesterol levels. There are a lot of things it does to your body. My recommendation google the effects. It is amazing. You can do this. It was hard for me to quit, but you will feel a lot better.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I have never smoked because I think its vile, but my Husband did, for thirty years before I met him, he gave up as he was the only person I know who smoked and also because he wanted to be healthy. He did it with the help of the NHS stop smoking service and it was a great help, he did gain weight, about 3 stone, which is 42lbs, but he has now joined MFP, lost the weight, started running and cycling, and today skipping. He is 55 years old and the fittest he has been for YEARS I totally recommend that you give up. Lots of luck x
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking almost 2.5 years and then smoked one every now and again with some people whose kids played hockey with my son every now and again. Finally, last December I had my last cigarette. I still crave them from time to time, but I know I'm really hurting myself when I smoke and I'm working so hard to get healthy.

I'm so proud of you for quitting. You are doing something that is going to make you feel, look and live better! :)
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for sharing your opinions, comments and your own personnel stories xx

I can and will do this :bigsmile:
  • texastae1010
    texastae1010 Posts: 165
    Options
    I quit Feb 28 2010...there are still moments that I want a smoke I am not going to lie at all on that one...I am not sure if that will ever go away...I did it mid weight-loss...I gained a few lbs back and that is just going to happen...I changed everything to help ease the habbits...I just woke up and stopped cold turkey I tried the patch etc...none of it worked for me carrots, gum, and a big change in my routine hard part was that is how I socialized, made friends, work breaks, it all went around smoking...never realized that most of my friends smoked etc....that was the hardest part...I stopped drinking for several months and has scared to have a drink because a cigarette and cocktail go hand in hand...just make sure you keep moving because your metabolism is going to slow down mine did (not sure if that is also being in my 30's) just don't let that little stick mentally con you into thinking you need to lose weight because that is what I did so many lbs have been regained again and again when I kept trying to quit...if you need support I am here
  • vaguelovememos
    Options
    Oh god, quitting is so hard. I'm trying right now, too. I wish you all the best of luck. Perhaps we could try quitting together? You know, like non-smoking support or whatnot. Let me know what you think! :)
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Everyone trying right now can do it. If I can, anyone can...
  • KristenAnn711
    KristenAnn711 Posts: 783
    Options
    I quit last year, once in a while I'll have one or two. I'd say 90% of the weight I've gained is from quitting. I replaced my smoking with munching.
  • thetigerzeye
    thetigerzeye Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm still currently a pack-a-day smoker and I hate it. >.< weird thing though the only thing that gets me winded is running, ut even when I was younger I couldn't run... I hate running lol ut any of the other cardio I can pump out without any reathing issues, but after smoking my legs hurt, its horrible I do want to stop but I am affraid if I do it now that'll e too much on my plate with trying to get fit v.v and keeping up on diet and exercise are hard enough when I don't have to worry aout another addiction *sniffle* so for now I'm going to keep smoking, I'm planning on quitting more towards the middle/end of my weightloss so I will have gained other healthy habits first. Ut I wish you all the strength to quit because it will definitely e beneficial for you!
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My husband quit smoking in August of 2008. He quit cold turkey. The only thing he did to help was chew gum.. it was tough but it worked (Gum chewing helped keep the munchies away too). The only thing he smokes now is cigars, maybe once every couple months... and he doesn't even like that any more. If he can do it, the rest of you can too!!