gatorade powerade

monkeyboy881
monkeyboy881 Posts: 287
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
i like powerade zero but i bottle is 400 sodium any other suggestions ??? i know i know water is the best but during a game i like my powerade or gatorade

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Sorry. I am so not helpful on that one, because I am an avid water drinker when I workout. When I do have one. I like the blue gatorade once and a while!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    I normally just go water myself, or I cut the gatorade like 1 shot per bottle of water.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    i read somewhere that you can substitute Gatorade, Powerade, etc by mixing equal parts of water and fruit juice. i will do my best to find the article - i think i read this in a magazine. i think it should work, though, as it will give you carbs.
  • tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    During gym time I just use a giant sports bottle if water. All other times I like the Propel zero mix. 1 pack per water bottle, 0 cals & 30 mg of sodium.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I only drink water. Not only is there a ton of sodium in sports drinks, but the zero calorie ones are loaded with artificial sweeteners which aren't good for you. Just drink water and have a protein shake after working out.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    I know it is what you prefer, but you only need to drink Gatorade or Powerade during/after an extreme workout and sweat-fest. Otherwise water IS the better option. The reason the sports drinks have to much sodium (and potassium and other minerals) is to replace the electrolytes you lose when you sweat.
  • rotneys5
    rotneys5 Posts: 3
    Add Barley powder to V-8 Splash. Gives you energy and a cleanser. :drinker:
  • monkeyboy881
    I know it is what you prefer, but you only need to drink Gatorade or Powerade during/after an extreme workout and sweat-fest. Otherwise water IS the better option. The reason the sports drinks have to much sodium (and potassium and other minerals) is to replace the electrolytes you lose when you sweat.
    yeah this is only on a 2000 plus calories burn on my bball days
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    They have those propel mix that you can toss in a water bottle that are really tasty and have lower sodium.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    try cutting back by halving water and powerade, or even 1 part powerade, 2 parts water. As you get used to drinking water more and more you will actually find the taste of powerade very strong - I cant handle it full strength anymore!

Like another person said, you can mix fruit juice and water, and to add the electrolyte power from the salts add ROCK SALT (not sea salt or iodised salt) to the mix - the tiniest pinch - you shouldnt be able to taste it, but adding this kind of salt will give the same kind of result as an electrolyte drink, and make your body hold the water longer too.

Off the subject a bit, but if you are struggling to hold water, try swishing it in your mouth first so it mixes with saliva - this will mean it is better accepted by your body and will be absorbed better. I increased my water intake by these 2 methods, swishing and adding rock salt.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    During gym time I just use a giant sports bottle if water. All other times I like the Propel zero mix. 1 pack per water bottle, 0 cals & 30 mg of sodium.

I also love Propel. Most of my water intake is with Propel. I don't like the taste of water. I wish that were not the case.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    You can get electrolyte enhanced water (like Smart Water, but a lot of markets also make their own brands or have other options) that puts electrolytes back into your system without the sodium.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    If I know ahead I have a really long bike ride to go and I will drink a bottle of Gatorade a day and one the morning of my ride during the hotter summer days. If I don't I will get cramps in my legs. During my ride sometimes I will even mix half Gatorade half water to take with me.
  • monkeyboy881
    very useful ideas thanks all of you :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.