First 5k--Success!!

Options
SammyLynn010
SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
(this is long, sorry...but I am too excited and I need to tell people... my family is tired of me talking about it already!! haha!)

I decided a few months ago that I needed to get motivated to exercise. So one night on a whim I signed up for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, but not just the walking part... I decided this year I wanted to run the 5k.

So for at least 8 long weeks I ran, and ran, and ran .... and ran ( you get the idea). I ran a few 5ks on the treadmill never doing better than 35:10.

I ran the exact race I would be running and did it in 36 flat. I was super proud of that!!

As the race drew closer I began to question myself and how well I had trained. The week of the race I ran my last 5k before the actual one and had a time of 34:17. I was STOKED, but it was on the treadmill so I wanted to add at least 2 minutes to that time.

As with all things you want to be successful at I got soo nervous this morning. I took my breakfast with me so that I could eat it an hour before I took to the road, I didn't stretch as much as I should have but there were people EVERY WHERE! It was crazy how many people took off around me, I felt like all the other racers were passing me!! lol (I might have kept looking back to make sure that I wasn't last! haha)

The course that we run is 1.5 miles each way. My first goal I accomplished is that I ran 1.5 miles in a little over 15mins!!! So--I was feeling pretty good about my time... after that I walked not even a .25 of a mile and I started to push myself again so I took off running again. I wanted to see the Start/Finish line SOOO BADLY!! I knew the land marks across the River to be able to tell about how far I had to go...

The last 50ft or so I sprinted, I wanted to sprint more than that but I was dragging so much! I knew that I had never pushed myself to run this hard before! I glanced over at the time before I crossed and it said 33:02! (my official ended up being 33:01!) -- I couldn't breathe....I knew I needed to keep walking to catch my breath but my family was standing there waiting to congratulate me and frankly my legs wouldn't work anymore!! LOL

I wanted to jump up and down scream yell and tell everyone that I DID IT! But so had everyone else that crossed that line so really, they didn't care! BUT I DID ... LOL

33:01 -- my fastest 5k time EVER!! I can't believe that I ran that much and ran that fast during the race! I can not believe that I had success... I looked the official results up and I was 553 out of 751 and 22 out of my age group. By most people standards and compared to everyone else I didn't do the best, but I know that without a doubt I did MY VERY BEST!!

I am soo proud of myself!! This is a true success story for me!!! =D

Replies

• kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    congratulations!! I ran my first 5k (in 8 years) today as well!! Great accomplishment!
  • BethG39
    BethG39 Posts: 17
    Options
    Wow! Congrats, that is really a great accomplishment!
  • indigocat
    indigocat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! It is perfect that you know not to measure your success against others. If you do that you would have lost the buzz you are feeling now and that would be so wrong. To do your personal best is impressive because many of us never push ourselves that hard, but to EXCEED your personal best, well now, that it a feat to be extremely proud of. You were faster than so many people and you beat your own best and you have evey right to be excited and proud. I am sure that many other MFP members in addition to myself will be very proud for you and for you. Go and tell your family AGAIN, even if they are sick of hearing it - lol. You deserve the right to do that! Very well done to you!
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I would be jumping up and down with you... that is sooo awesome! I can't wait until I enter my first 5 k. I still have yet to sign up for one... i won't until the final day of my c25k :)

That is a great time! and a new PR to work to beat next time! Go YOU!
  • claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congrats that is amazing!!!
  • lauralhicks
    lauralhicks Posts: 168
    Options
    You go girl, can't wait to actually run my first one!
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! It is perfect that you know not to measure your success against others. If you do that you would have lost the buzz you are feeling now and that would be so wrong. To do your personal best is impressive because many of us never push ourselves that hard, but to EXCEED your personal best, well now, that it a feat to be extremely proud of. You were faster than so many people and you beat your own best and you have evey right to be excited and proud. I am sure that many other MFP members in addition to myself will be very proud for you and for you. Go and tell your family AGAIN, even if they are sick of hearing it - lol. You deserve the right to do that! Very well done to you!

I couldn't agree more! =)
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Great story!! I know the feeling of talking about your first 5K... I'm sure my husband and friends (here on MFP, too!) were tired of it, but I just couldn't stop! :bigsmile:

And great job on your time!!
  • helvetikat
    helvetikat Posts: 21
    Options
    I also ran my first 5k today! I expected to finish in about 35:00, but my official time was 29:50 with a 9:37 pace! I totally didn't expect that! I'm also really proud of myself, and finishing (and really enjoying) this race has given me even more confidence in planning to train for a half marathon over the summer.

Good job and keep it up!
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Well done. Im so happy for you :flowerforyou:
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    Congrats! That is a great time- especially for your first race! I know a lot of people who would have loved to have that time the first time they went out on a 5K run. During my race yesterday I got behind a woman whose shirt read "if you can read this, I'm not last" I had to pass her but was laughing as I did it!
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story! I am training for a 5K too and this gives me hope! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!