Evening snacking question

Options
I have seen people posting about not snacking in the evening. My question is, if I am spreading my calories out over the entire day to keep blood sugar nice and level, and I still have the calories to spare in the late evening, is it really bad to snack? I'm not bingeing and I'm never going over my allowance, but I like something to munch on (ie: air popped popcorn or sugar-free jello) while watching tv and winding down. What is the downside? Any info appreciated!

Replies

• flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with it. I snack every night and haven't had trouble losing weight. Calories are calories no matter when you eat them, and it's not like you're having a huge meal before bed.
  • kcarv1985
    kcarv1985 Posts: 5
    Options
    Its a myth, snack away! healthy of course :)
  • l3xii
    l3xii Posts: 160
    Options
    In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with it. I snack every night and haven't had trouble losing weight. Calories are calories no matter when you eat them, and it's not like you're having a huge meal before bed.
    ^^what she said^^
  • theresaaugello
    Options
    Like previously stated...calories are calories. I've eaten a big meal or a lot of food right before bed also and I've lost 43 pounds total. Eat your calories! Enjoy them! :flowerforyou:
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I did used to take a snack in the evening, but eventually that made me plateau, I used to snack 3 times a day and now I just do it twice. So basically eating every 2-3hrs and drink lots of water. My last meal is my diner or supper what ever it's called where you're from(3rd meal).. and with that simple thing done I got off my plateau and have been losing ever since.
  • iq5203
    iq5203 Posts: 17
    Options
    I think it's highly dependent on you. I find that snacking after dinner tends to make me hungry before I go to bed. I'd also prefer to use those calories earlier in the day, that way I can use that energy during my evening activities. I don't need more calories to keep my energy up for sleeping :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Myth. Eat when you want. But. If you load more calories early in the day , you can taper off to a small snack before bed. I like cottage cheese or hot chocolate or yogurt. Helps me sleep (dairy).
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a problem as long as it is a light snack. I try not to eat anything heavy before bed - it definitely shows on the scale the next day, not sure what the long term impact is - but if I feel like miunching I may eat a little fruit, or jello, pr something similar.
  • Mommaof3Boys2011
    Options
    over the years i have been told by drs that a light healthy snack a couple of hours before bed is good for you. i keeps you from waking up in the middle of the night having the munchies
  • jcl1981
    jcl1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i try to eat dinner about 4 hours before bed, then dessert and hour later, healthy dessert of course (see my chocolate spider recipe). I have read that a healthy carb is ideal for before bed snack as it helps you sleep better and wake easier. Everyone is right that not eating at night is a myth. I work a 2pm to 10pm shift and i dont wake until 12noon. I eat breakfast about 12:30pm, snack at 4pm, lunch at 8pm, dinner at 11pm, dessert at 12 midnight, bed at 3am. I have lost 95 pounds using this schedule, and aside from a recent plateau, continue to do so. So put your mind at ease and snack away, just not chocolate bars or cold pizza.