Light and Fresh Potato Salad

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
This got EXCELLENT reviews on the Cooking Light website.

Category Finalist, Sides and Salads. "My husband doesn't like mayonnaise, so I created a potato salad with a vinaigrette. I experimented and realized how little oil I need. Add the dressing while the potatoes are still hot. It really helps the vinegar permeate the potatoes. Elsie Gonto, Savannah, Georgia

Ingredients
Dressing:
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Salad:
5 cups cubed red potato (about 2 pounds)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped peeled cucumber
3/4 cup sliced grape or cherry tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped orange bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 (2 1/4-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained

Preparation
1. To prepare dressing, combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.
2. To prepare salad, place potato and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above potato; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until tender; drain.

3. Add potato to dressing in bowl, tossing gently to coat; let stand 15 minutes. Stir in cucumber and remaining ingredients; toss well. Cover and chill.

Yield
12 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 90(28% from fat); FAT 2.8g (sat 0.2g,mono 1.6g,poly 0.8g); IRON 0.9mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 19mg; CARBOHYDRATE 14.9g; SODIUM 295mg; PROTEIN 1.8g; FIBER 2g

potato-salad-ck-1723426-l.jpg

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    This got EXCELLENT reviews on the Cooking Light website.

Category Finalist, Sides and Salads. "My husband doesn't like mayonnaise, so I created a potato salad with a vinaigrette. I experimented and realized how little oil I need. Add the dressing while the potatoes are still hot. It really helps the vinegar permeate the potatoes. Elsie Gonto, Savannah, Georgia

Ingredients
    Dressing:
    1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Salad:
    5 cups cubed red potato (about 2 pounds)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup chopped peeled cucumber
    3/4 cup sliced grape or cherry tomatoes
    3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped orange bell pepper
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    1 (2 1/4-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained

Preparation
    1. To prepare dressing, combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.
    2. To prepare salad, place potato and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above potato; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until tender; drain.

3. Add potato to dressing in bowl, tossing gently to coat; let stand 15 minutes. Stir in cucumber and remaining ingredients; toss well. Cover and chill.

Yield
    12 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)

Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 90(28% from fat); FAT 2.8g (sat 0.2g,mono 1.6g,poly 0.8g); IRON 0.9mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 19mg; CARBOHYDRATE 14.9g; SODIUM 295mg; PROTEIN 1.8g; FIBER 2g

potato-salad-ck-1723426-l.jpg
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    that looks yummy
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    This sounds so good I may make it the next time we get together with some friends of ours.
  • EllaBella
    EllaBella Posts: 140
    Options
    I will have to try. We have guests that request low fat low cal foods at the hunting lodge--this may be a keeper!! Thanks!:happy: