I defintely recommend a body fat monitor instead of a scale!

Options
So a couple of weeks ago I bought a body fat monitor so I can focus on my weight loss from that instead of the scale and this week I really started watching what I ate... the scale has hardly budged BUT!!!!! ...according to the body fat monitor my body fat% has went down a little!!! Granted its extremely small amount but it's went down! and not even a week! Almost a week though! :) I defeintely recommend getting a body fat monitor instead of using the scale! I bought mine at walmarts website for 25 and it really does work!!!

My goal is to eventually get under 10% body fat (even if its 9% body fat) with the max of 5% body fat (i doubt i'll ever get there though :( ).

Replies

• las5184
    las5184 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't doubt yourself. You will get there if you set your mind to it and believe in yourself. I thought adapting to a healthier lifestyle was nearly impossible. Now its been a month and I can already feel a change in myself.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that a scale can be discouraging...especially when you've worked your @$$ off and it doesn't budge or even goes up...but what a lot of people don't keep in mind is that water can make your weight fluctuate a few pounds and that gaining muscle will cause you to gain a little weight initially but it also helps you burn fat...so even if you're building muscle and the scale goes up, you're probably better off because your fat % is going down. Nice to know Wal-Mart has them for $25!
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    My goal is to eventually get under 10% body fat (even if its 9% body fat) with the max of 5% body fat (i doubt i'll ever get there though :( ).

I'm so glad you found something that motivates you! I'm a little worried when I see your goals, though. A healthy body fat percentage for a male age 20-40 is between 8% and 19%. Your body does actually require some fat for healthy function-- for example, the blood-brain barrier is made of lipids (fat) and without enough fat, your brain can't get nourishment. I think working toward getting healthy is great, just keep in mind that extremes at the low end of the scale are just as dangerous as extremes at the high end. Best of luck and health to you!
  • ThermalYew1
    ThermalYew1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that a scale can be discouraging...especially when you've worked your @$$ off and it doesn't budge or even goes up...but what a lot of people don't keep in mind is that water can make your weight fluctuate a few pounds and that gaining muscle will cause you to gain a little weight initially but it also helps you burn fat...so even if you're building muscle and the scale goes up, you're probably better off because your fat % is going down. Nice to know Wal-Mart has them for $25!

haha i work at wal-mart but I got mine off of their website lol
  • ThermalYew1
    ThermalYew1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I'm so glad you found something that motivates you! I'm a little worried when I see your goals, though. A healthy body fat percentage for a male age 20-40 is between 8% and 19%. Your body does actually require some fat for healthy function-- for example, the blood-brain barrier is made of lipids (fat) and without enough fat, your brain can't get nourishment. I think working toward getting healthy is great, just keep in mind that extremes at the low end of the scale are just as dangerous as extremes at the high end. Best of luck and health to you!

yeah I know.... it just gets to me cause I see these guys with really low body fat % and I want it so bad..