Calorie count in US restaurants

Options
jojopel
jojopel Posts: 348 Member
On a recent trip to the US, I noticed that the menus at Olive Garden and Friendly's now indicate the number of calories in each dish. Since we are going back to the US in June, I would like to know which other chains of restaurants do this as well. It makes staying within my calorie count so much easier!

Replies

• codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    It isn't really a restaurant but Panera Bread puts Calories on their menu
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    it does seem to becoming a trend and not a bad one either. If not the whole menu many have it on atleast there 'lighter' choices
  • aladd2
    aladd2 Posts: 70
    Options
    CalorieKing.com usually has the calories and other nutritional information for lots of restaurants
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you come to California, its the law that any restaurant chain with more than 22 locations has to post the calorie count on the menu/menu board and offer a booklet of complete nutrition facts. So basically everywhere here has the information posted.

Any of the big, national chains will have it posted for you and some of those who don't will put the information on their website. McDonald's now has the basics (carbs, fat, protein, sodium) printed right on the containers and wrappers of their food.
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've noticed Sarku and Ihop have their calories of their menu.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have seen it at places such as Olive Garden, IHOP, Denny's, Quizno's, Subway, and most fast-food chains (that I know of). However, I have heard that this varies regionally. I live in Los Angeles, but I've heard from other folks here around the country that they don't always have calorie info on the menus yet. I suspect it's a rolling trend, where by X year all places will. (I hope, anyway!) Additionally, most chain restaurants -- even those that do not post info on their menus -- do provide their nutritional info on their websites. So if you know in advance, you can look it up and select some healthy options.
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Red Lobster is really good. I always get the woodfire grilled Tilapia with broccoli, rice pilaf and a side salad and its absolutely delish. Watch the cheese biscuits though, those are super high in calories and I have to limit myself to 1.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    In many states it is actually a law for restaurants and food places to provide calorie counts on their menus. It is part of the new health care bill.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/23/calorie-count-disclosure_n_509964.html
    http://fastfood.ocregister.com/2010/03/22/health-care-bill-will-force-chains-to-post-calorie-counts/56247/
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    In many states it is actually a law for restaurants and food places to provide calorie counts on their menus. It is part of the new health care bill.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/23/calorie-count-disclosure_n_509964.html
    http://fastfood.ocregister.com/2010/03/22/health-care-bill-will-force-chains-to-post-calorie-counts/56247/
    Thank goodness! I'm not sure why this took so long or seems so revolutionary. I realize that many people don't care what they eat or how many calories/sodium/fat/etc are in it, but the rest of us do! It would be outlandish for places to have a list of things you can buy (food or anything else) with no prices listed -- you just find out after it posts to your credit card at the end of the month. Finally, we're moving forward :smile:
  • Lisone
    Lisone Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread, Au Bon Pain, TGIF's, John Harvard's Brewery (I think that might just be in the Boston area)
    The Cheesecake Factory doesn't list it on the menu, but they have a portion of the menu called Weight Conscious Salads (or something along those lines..) and if you ask the server to find out the calories for you, they will GLADLY do it!
    Also, at the Cheesecake Factory they have a 4 carb Cheesecake that is ABSOLUTELY TO DIE FOR!!!
    As a Diabetic, it's like heaven on a plate. =)
  • flaudermouse
    flaudermouse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you can go online and google the nutrition analysis for most chains, many of them give this information
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Even if you don't see the calorie counts on the in-house menus, you can always go to the restaurant's website and locate their nutritional values there.
  • C00ki3M0nst3r
    Options
    Just FYI, I think it's a law that requires restaurants with more than 20 restaurants in their chain to have the calories printed on their menu.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I live in Michigan, we don't have that here and I wish we did! We are supposedly one of the more obese states. It would make eating out less scary for me.