Beans, beans, the musical fruit....

Options
I just wanted to share with fellow MFP's about beans. I never considered putting them into my diet until fairly recently. Whenever I would incorporate a protein into my day, some sort of meat would be first in line in my brain.

I am now at the lower end of the calorie intake (about 1300 per day) and have had to find alternate ways to incorporate protein into my diet without a giant calorie load to come with it. I'm also Italian and love to eat large portions.

My new(er) favorite food....beans! Lentils are fabulous! They don't even have to be soaked overnight and only take 25 minutes to simmer. Add a little seasoning and some favorite veggies and you can be eating healthy, feel satisfied and get your protein (9 grams per serving)! I leave mine with a little water so it's slighty soupy this way they aren't dry.

I hope people find this helpful, as I know that I definately have! Good luck to everyone!

Replies

• gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If you like lentils I have a wonderful recipe... feta cranberry lentil salad. Easy to make, and very satifying.
  • theresaaugello
    Options
    If you like lentils I have a wonderful recipe... feta cranberry lentil salad. Easy to make, and very satifying.

YES please! Do share!
  • Ajaay
    Ajaay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Curried lentils are also great if you like spicey food. I also like to make chilli with lots of beans and just a little meat.
  • gentlebreeze2
    Options
    Feta-Cranberry Lentil Salad

1 cup dried lentils
    2 cups water
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1 tbs parsley
    3 tbs vegetable oil
    2 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp honey
    salt and pepper to taste

In a small saucepan, combine lentils, water & bay leaves ... bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover for 20-25 min. Drain & discard bay leaves. Rinse lentils.
    In a small bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper.
    In a large bowl, combine lentils, cranberries, pecans, feta cheese and parsley.
    Pour liquid over lentil mixture, toss, and chill. 4 servings... approximately 435 calories.
  • theresaaugello
    Options

1 cup dried lentils
    2 cups water
    2 bay leaves
    1 tbs parsley
    3 tbs vegetable oil
    salt and pepper to taste

In a small saucepan, combine lentils, water & bay leaves ... bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover for 20-25 min. Drain & discard bay leaves. Rinse lentils.
    Pour liquid over lentil mixture, toss, and chill. 4 servings... approximately 435 calories.

I can't wait to try this!! Thank you so much! Is it 435 per serving or the entire recipe?
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options

1 cup dried lentils
    2 cups water
    2 bay leaves
    1 tbs parsley
    3 tbs vegetable oil
    salt and pepper to taste

I can't wait to try this!! Thank you so much! Is it 435 per serving or the entire recipe?

Me neither, sounds Yum!
  • gentlebreeze2
    Options
    435 per serving... but it really fills you up.
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    I tried that cranberry feta lentil salad and it was great. I found the original Taste of Home recipe and used that, it had way too much salt though! So next time I will skip their portions from salt and use to taste :-)
  • thaismoreira
    thaismoreira Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I will try!!!
  • thaismoreira
    thaismoreira Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Nice add to the dinner table! I'll do it again. Thanks for the great receipt.