Lettuce or a Bun!

Options
Half-Size Apple Pecan Chicken Salad is 340 calories, where the FULL size Ultimate Chicken Grill sandwich is 330 calories with out the Honey Mustard Sauce. I find that most salads at my favorite restaurants are higher in calories then the entrée with all the refined sugars and carbohydrates! Blah!

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    True! But the salads are usually pretty big. No?
  • danaclang
    danaclang Posts: 28
    Options
    Allow yourself to enjoy either but add a little more time/effort to your work out to balance it out.
  • AuntRedRobi
    AuntRedRobi Posts: 14
    Options
    Won't the fiber from the salad greens keep you fuller longer than the simple carbs from the bun?
  • theresaaugello
    Options
    On the Eat This Not That website there is a giant section about salads. It's amazing to see that some have more calories than I'm alotted for 2 days! And the sodium content in most of them is outrageous!
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You also have to think about how many of the calories are empty and if what you are eating will get you through to the next meal without the hunger pangs....

Also think about the lifestyle choices you are making....

And if all this self righteousness is too much do what I would do and have whichever you fancy.....
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Depending on the salad, they may be including the dressing they usually slather over it - you can cut down the calories by asking for the dressing on the side, and if you can, ask for a low-cal or vinagrette option - if you really want to keep the dressing calories to a minimum, rather than puring it on the salad, dip your fork into the dressing, then spear your sald - you get the flavor but don't risk drowning the salad in excess calories. Also, you could have the sandwich minus the bun (or just half the bun, like an open-faced sandwich).
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    For salads out, it's often the dressing or the greasy processed carbs (wonton noodles, tortilla strips, croutons etc.). I usually ask for dressing on the side, low cal option or even bring my own and ask them to hold anything I don't want. there aren't a lot of calories in greens, veggies, chicken, turkey, shrimp...it's all the other stuff.

also, even when I am craving a burger, I usually order protein-style using lettuce instead instead of a bun. In-Out Burger in LA and even McDonald's offer these options, makes a huge difference! And I know that the database even has a listing for the protein-style In-Out Burger! So when I'm craving it, even a protein-style burger and small fries is very do-able without breaking the calorie bank!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Looks can be deceiving, which is one of the reasons this site is so great. I will often choose the Fuddruckers Napa Valley Salad, which is 450 calories (without the garlic toast) vs. a stop at Wendy's for their pecan salad (1/2 salad is 330 calories). Their salads are much bigger and they seem to keep me satisfied through the afternoon -- yet they taste similar.

I was once running errands at Target at lunch and didn't have time to make a 2nd stop. I had a choice of a salad from the Target Deli, or a slice of Pizza Hut pizza at the kiosk next door. I chose the salad, and then got back to the office to log. 600 + CALORIES! OUCH! I immediately substituted the salad dressings to help bring down the calorie count -- look before you eat!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Depending on the salad, they may be including the dressing they usually slather over it - you can cut down the calories by asking for the dressing on the side, and if you can, ask for a low-cal or vinagrette option - if you really want to keep the dressing calories to a minimum, rather than puring it on the salad, dip your fork into the dressing, then spear your sald - you get the flavor but don't risk drowning the salad in excess calories. Also, you could have the sandwich minus the bun (or just half the bun, like an open-faced sandwich).

Exactly ^

The calories are from the dressing, pecans and chicken. Cancel the dressing, and it shouldn't be more than 200cal.