Elliptical Cross Trainer

Options
Hi all,
I've taken the plunge and ordered and elliptical cross trainer machine (a Precor). Just wondering if anyone out there has one at home, and if it has proven useful. I did quite a bit of shopping and trying before i settled on the one I am getting. Do you think it is best to put it in a room with a TV? Does anyone find that helpful?
I would love to hear about anyone's experiences!
Thanks!

Replies

• krystalynnem
    Options
    Hi all,
    I've taken the plunge and ordered and elliptical cross trainer machine (a Precor). Just wondering if anyone out there has one at home, and if it has proven useful. I did quite a bit of shopping and trying before i settled on the one I am getting. Do you think it is best to put it in a room with a TV? Does anyone find that helpful?
    I would love to hear about anyone's experiences!
    Thanks!
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Elipticals are great, and you can kill alot of time watching the TV on them, makes it go faster just remember to keep up the pace while your zoned into your fav program
  • mshunk
    mshunk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi - I work in an exercise facility and use the Precor daily - - I LOVE it, and it burns a lot of calories...make sure you start out S L O W, or you will really feel the burn, and the best way to see some good toning, is to use it with both forward and backward motion....a few minutes forward, followed by an equal amount of time backwards. GOOD LUCK!! I also use a TV, or music to pass the time more quickly. :smile: :love:
  • kayla_larsen
    kayla_larsen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use a Precor every day at the gym and it's awesome, I really want to buy one! I also don't think it's bad to have it in a room with a TV, it'll help the time go by faster, but make sure you keep up your speed! Have fun with it! :smile:
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical, treadmill and bike. The elliptical is great to burn calories fast when I only have 30 min for a workout. I hope to have a tv setup in my basement in the next few weeks to kill the time since you can't really read while on the elliptical (i save that for my bike days).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    You're going to LOVE it. It does take a couple sessions to get good at it. It is such a Zen workout. I already watch too much TV, so I play fast tempo music and close my eyes. It's a beautiful thing....

cm
  • Highsmith
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!! You will burn a lot of calories in a short amount of time. The good thing is that you are working all of your upper and lower body at one time which helps for a total body workout. Plus if you like to run like I do but don't want to put to much pressure on your knees this is a great machine to help you.
    Have fun
  • valerie33
    valerie33 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    merry christmas to you!! this is my goldenchild!! what i wake up for!! literally...i am now at the point of burning 400 calories in 22 minutes on the elliptical, as everyone has said, u can burn A LOT of calories quickly (at a high workload). u do have to work your way up there, but it does not take all that long to do it! good luck, i think u will really enjoy this machine! put on your ipod with some motivational songs and just sail away ~ enjoy! :happy:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I workout in front of the t.v. regularly. Like everyone mentioned, you have to focus and keep tempo. One thing I do during commercials (especially those for our arch nemesis, junk food) is to switch to the calorie counting mode and see how many calories I can burn using a Fartlek technique. Use the first commercial for high intensity, then a recovery commercial, repeat until your show comes back on. It will change up your routine and boost your workout to a new level. If you watch a reality show with segments, do the same thing throughout the show; you'll be amazed! Congrats & good luck!:happy:
  • Xtracrispy69
    Options
    ellipticals are a great way to lose weight, but at the expense of not truely increasing your fitness level. You will notice some increase, but not the same way you would via treadmill, stairs or such. Again they helped me lose weight, now I got off of the elliptical to increase my overall fitness.
  • melelaine
    melelaine Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical at home too. I love it, but what everyone is saying is right. You have to keep moving. Make sure to use a heart rate monitor, if you are not getting your heart rate up, you are not burning calories.
  • danidsays
    Options
    I LOVE the elliptical! I wish I had one at home because I go to the gym everyday JUST to use it.. my gym has a "movie theatre" type room with ellipticals, treadmills, and bikes in there and watching something DEFINATELY makes time pass by!